Views
Helpful
Replies

WAAS PT in progress and device throughput

eagles-nest
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have a couple of 574's which I am using as a temporary solution to alleviate congestion on a WAN cct where we do quite a bit of replication.  Up to recently it seemed to be helping very well but now all I see are PT in progress connections.  I suspect the devices are getting overloaded with too much traffic but is there any command that shows clearly why PT in progress is happening ?  I am using PBR to direct only very specific traffic via the WAAS and hoped it would optimize what it could and just pass through the rest.  It seemed to be doing this previously but recent performance issues led me to find that, as mentioned above, no optimization is occurring and all traffic is now being passed through.

As a test I set up some ftp transfers and when these are in progress I see their connections being optimized and the other heavy data replication one saying PT in progress as before.  I had expected to see the ftp transfers also being passed through because they are adding to the heavy traffic on the WAAS but I was pleasantly surprised to see the WAAS could pick out the ftp traffic and do what it could with that traffic while carrying on passing through the replication traffic.

I know the replication traffic is too much but would really like some output I can present to our server guys to show clearly it is being passed through due to traffic overload.

What also confuses me are the performance metrics given by Cisco for the WAAS devices.  The 574 is spec'd as 150Mb/s LAN throughput and 20Mb/s WAN throughput.  How does the WAAS differentiate LAN from WAN throughput ?   My replication traffic is well below the LAN figure for the box but well above the WAN figure.

Many thanks again for any input.

0 Replies 0