RV220W -to- RV120W WDS link

ddiep
Level 4
Level 4

On behalf of Jo Kern wrote:

"

Dec 21, 2010
RV220W -to- RV120W WDS link

I configured a WDS link between an RV120W and a RV220W.

Worked just fine.

Requirement would be to see immediately if the devices 'see' each other. If the WDS link is operational.

Better even with a signal quality indicator of the WDS link to allow positioning of the devices in the facilities.

For installations this is a must otherwise it is trial and error and a very lengthy process.

If both devices are on the LAN for configuration you have to enable STP. If STP kicks in you might get disconnected for a short period.

If one device is already at the remote location and it does not work immediately you walk around with your PC for troubleshooting check one side, than check the other side etc.

If you had a reliable indicatioin of the WDS status you would not need to to that.

WDS to a AP541N did not work. Not that I expected that."

1 Reply 1

linksysinfo
Level 4
Level 4

Personally if I were to install any Wireless device I take the time to do a Wireless Survey to make sure the site is covered by the Wireless Cell.

VistaStumbler/Netstumbler work very well on a WIndows Laptop. All you do is turn on your wifi on the router and laptop, run Vistastumbler and walk around the premises or site testing the received signal strength throughout the building.  you cna then see if you ahve full coverage or not.  If it is the latter you either centralise the Wifi router if possible or install the second router/WDS where the signal strength is stable.  this then can boost the signal further on to the black spots you have incurred from the initial wifi router.

Remember however that WDS halves the wireless Bandwidth before you even have added any other wireless device.

Regards Simon