cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SMTP Alerts not always working

JOHN NIKOLATOS
Level 3
Level 3

I have set up alerts a few weeks ago.. and have never received one.  tonight I receive like 12 in a row from all different dates... and am concerned the alerts are not making it to my email.  So how can I troubleshoot the alerts?  I have even generated a test alert and it has not come to me.  They are not in SPAM filter either... and I whitelisted the account no-reply@onplusbeta.com.  It has been about 15 or so minutes since the test alert.  The portal shows the test alert being generated.. 

UP on PIX (

192.168.14.2) at 2011-07-15 1:07:05 -0400 - Monitor Test

UP on PIX (192.168.14.2) at 2011-07-15 1:07:05 -0400 - Monitor Test

But no email alert.  Is this feature fully functional? 

I also performed a firmware upgrade on the PLG1000 before the test to the latest version 20.68

5 Replies 5

Michael Holloway
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi John,

Our service operations team restored full email service to the beta portal last night around 9:20pm CT, at which time you might have seen a spate of queued up emails being delivered to your email. We've corrected this issue by upgrading the routers supporing the onplusbeta.com portal and applying corrected ACLs to them.

We determined that the onplusbeta.com portal experienced a partial email outage beginning around June 17th. A bad access-list (ACL) was applied on the portal routers and that was blocking some outbound emails including notification emails. Unfortunately, we didn't detect the problem until yesterday, because of the limited scope of impact - only some IP delivery addresses were affected.

From what we've learned by outage, we'll be adding some additional monitoring of the email delivery queues to both the beta and production portals in order to catch this type of manual misconfiguration much faster in the future.

-mike

This is still an issue.  I received 14 more alerts and non of them made it to my inbox.   I had done some work on the intertnet and had the WAN off for an hour and no alrrts came.  The email alerts are not working.  After you mentioned this above...  I did get emails at 9:20pm but I had a test alert I did after that... I received that the next day 10 hours later.  Since then I did not receive any alerts. 

Hi John,

The portal separates out 'Events' from 'Notifications'. Events happen and are then recorded on the portal for your review, both from within a Customer view (Events tab) and also while directly drilled into a particular device you can see events related only to that device. Events by themselves don't get sent anywhere outside the portal.

Notifications are the delivery of certain events to a specific contact outside the portal. This can currently be an email address, SMS (via email-to-sms gateway, we're working on direct SMS at the moment), or PSA account such as AutoTask. Notications happen by setting up Delivery Rules, and Delivery Contacts, all from within the Notifications tab in the main Home/Overview page of the portal.

When a portal account is created, we create 2 default Delivery Rules, both pointed at the email address that you listed when you originally registered with the portal. These default rules cover only these type of events:

1) Agent: Registration requests

These events happen when you add another person to your portal account (Agents > Invite Agent) and that person follows the an email link back to the portal and registers, pending your final approval.

2) Warning or higher severity events

Any event of the severity Warning or more severe (Warning, Error, Critical, Alert, Emergency)

It looks like you've deleted the default notification delivery rule for 'Warning', which will pretty much turn off any sort of external delivery. To re-add this rule, just log into the portal, click Notifications > Delivery Rules and then click the '+ Add Delivery Rule' button on that page. We recommend having a rule to deliver all 'Warning' or higher events, and we've tried to add smart default thresholds and severities to events, but it's always your choice on which things you want to get notified about.

I want to be clear the I did receive emails and that after the "email fix" I did receive a whole bunch at one time... so that rule must of been there?  Also that after that I tested but my test did not come until the next day...

But I followed your directions and I can not add a RULE because it requires a CONACT to be chosen and no contacts populate the drop down field.  I have two contacts under NOTIFICATIONS - DELIVERY CONTACTS but they will not show up under NOTIFCATIONS - DELIVERY RULES...  so it will not allow me to add a RULE due to this. How do I proceed? 

Hi John,

OnPlus notification delivery contacts can be explicitly tied to a particular customer, or not.

It appears the two contacts you see under Notifications > Delivery Contacts are tied to customers. As such, these contacts would not be available when creating a Notification Delivery Rule where the "Customer" field is set to "All".

I suggest adding a new delivery contact and not associating it with a customer. Then this contact should be available to you when creating a new delivery rule.

I hope this helps. If not, let me know.

Michael Whitley

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: