cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SRP and TiVo

grdollarcisco
Level 1
Level 1

I have noticed that using the SRP527 at home, my TiVo is unable to connect to the service. When I replace the SRP with a Netgear (ugh) TiVo is happy again. I looked online, and TiVo uses a ridiculous number of ports. Is there something I should be setting to get it to work? I am downloading the latest firmware now and will close this if the problem is fixed.

Model:SRP527W, ADSL2+ AnnexA, 802.11n ETSI, 2FXS/1FXO
Version ID:V01
Hardware Version:4.0.0
Boot Version:1.1.17 (Jan 4 2010 - 21:15:46)
Firmware Version:1.01.03 (001) Feb 2 2010
ADSL Firmware Version:0.37.0
Recovery Firmware:1.01.03 (001)
Setup Wizard Version:1.01.03 (001)
WAN MAC Address:00:17:59:FF:EA:DC
Current Time:Sun, 21 Feb 2010 17:46:02
WAN:WAN1 (1 Subinterface Enabled)
LAN:VID (2 VLAN Enabled)
Wireless:1 SSID Enabled

7 Replies 7

grdollarcisco
Level 1
Level 1

Quick update. The latest firmware didn't help. Not sure if this is user error. My config is attached. Tivo port info at http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/402. My wife is very annoyed at not having a guide!!!

Thanks for the config Graeme,

Could you please let me know your admin password? (post direct to my cisco.com email).

Cheers

Andy

Hi Graeme,

Could you also provide a little more information?

a) How are you connecting your TiVo to the SRP? Wired/Wireless?  If wireless, are you using the same settings as on the Netgear?

b) Is the TiVo reachable/usable locally?

Thanks

Andy

Andy. Admin password is "e1genubi"

The TiVo connects to the wireless network and obtains an IP address from the SRP. I have the netgear configured with the same IP and wifi settings as the SRP.

Is your setup:

Tivo DVR -- Wireless -- SRP --- INTERNET --- Tivo Server

If all the communication takes place from Tivo DVR to Tivo Server then you should be ok but if there are transactions that get initiated the other way - my recommendation would be to try enabling port forwarding on the SRP for all the ports listed on the link you posted and map to the Tivo DVR internal IP address. Port forwarding config is on the SRP GUI on Network Setup > Nat > port forwarding

Hello Maulik - The setup is as described by you: TiVo - wifi - srp - internet - tivo server

Communication is from the tivo out, not initiated by the server (I have manually told the tivo to contact the server to update its program guide and it has failed). As said before, if I swap the SRP out with a netgear (with no ports forwarded) it works fine. I don't think manually forwarding all those ports (including port 80) is a good solution especially as I run a web server at home

Does your Tivo have an ethernet interface that you can try hooking upto the SRP LAN port via a hub and gathering a wireshark to see what exactly is occuring? You can look at logs on the SRP in terms of firewall dropping packets but this may not help if its not a firewall issue:

Basic log, go to Administration > Log, enable logging

Detailed using syslog, go to Voice > System set level to 3 + Router and enter syslog server IP address

Firewall status, go to Status > Firewall Status and look at the statistics

Wondering if Tivo uses a proprietary protocol that requires fixup (similar to a SIP ALG) - not sure though but just a guess. Do you know if TiVo cannot reach the server or the traffic reaches the server but fails to come in?