cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Using the Onboard PPTP VPN Server (?????)

jay.johnson1
Level 1
Level 1

I'm sure most of us have had a router that ran as a PPTP VPN server that allowed incoming vpn connections from a microsoft vpn client.  However, this particular PPTP VPN Server on the 220 makes no sense to me, currently.  When you try to assign a range, it tells you the range "can't be" in any subnet range already in use by the router.  In fact, it appears as if you have to point PPTP to another device.

As always, can someone be a second (or third) pair of eyes for me, please?

Thanks.

Jay

Certified: CCNA (R/S, Security, Voice), CCDA, CCNP (R/S)
5 Replies 5

linksysinfo
Level 4
Level 4

my guess it is acting like the SSL VPN setup you have to be in a different subnet, but in the ssl setting you have "configure client routes" to allow access to other subnets.

not too sure on the pptp side though.  if we had a Admin guide then we can know the constraints of this beast.

Regards Simon

This could be a bug. I need to check further w/ the team. Will keep you posted.

Sorry guys. I still don't have AdminGuide. Looking for one myself

eric.stewart
Level 1
Level 1

I'm quite sure that this reflects the fact that most commonly in an enterprise the range of IP addresses that you hand out to a user don't fall on a common subnet with any of the existing LANs in order to make the IP addresses that you hand out to the VPN clients easier to identify in logs (for example) and also to make internal routing, redistribution and route injection less problematic.  Besides, do you really want to set aside a large block of IP addresses for your VPN clients  when those addresses might be better used by physical inside clients?

I like the feature, personally.

/Eric

Cool...

All that being said, is this a PPTP server that is truly "onboard" or merely a function that's going to "point" towards the actual device (i.e., Microsoft VPN Server) that's actually going to be handling the PPTP vpn traffic?

Jay

Certified: CCNA (R/S, Security, Voice), CCDA, CCNP (R/S)

It's onboard.  There's no forwarding happening here.  It's a captive server.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: