cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

how to remove 'u' from list output in ansible

aamirmurtaza67
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to do a simple list to show all ports associated with a particular vlan and have this output to a csv.

Code works but can't figure out how can I get around removing the 'u' and the [] associated with the line 'InterfaceID' in the output. I know the array need to be converted to a string just wondering how I can do this without modifying the code too much.

Thank you in advance for any tips.

Code:

- name: parse output
     set_fact:
      vlan_output: "{{vlan_info.stdout[0] | parse_cli_textfsm(parse_template)}}"

- name: write lines to file
     copy:
      content: "{{ ['InterfaceID','VlanID','NAME'] | zip([item.INTERFACES,item.VLAN_ID,item.NAME]) | map('join', ', ')  | join('\n') }}"
      dest: "output.csv"
     with_items: "{{vlan_output}}"

- debug:
      var: vlan_output

Debug of vlan_output:

"vlan_output": [
    {
        "INTERFACES": [
            "Gi1/0/2",
            "Gi1/0/5",
            "Gi1/0/7"
        ],
        "NAME": "test",
        "STATUS": "active",
        "VLAN_ID": "10"
    }
]
Excel Output:
InterfaceID, [u'Gi1/0/2', u'Gi1/0/5', u'Gi1/0/7']
VlanID, 10
NAME, test
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

AnwarJutt98
Level 1
Level 1

While you cannot directly do that, once you upgrade version of python used by ansible to 3.x you get rid of these. Only Python 2.x does print unicode strings with u prefix. On 3 all are unicode anyway and the prefix is not printed anymore.

Keep in mind that the u is part of printing the data, is not part of the data itself. olansi

If you try to parse as string an array that was converted to a string you are already doing something wrong.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

AnwarJutt98
Level 1
Level 1

While you cannot directly do that, once you upgrade version of python used by ansible to 3.x you get rid of these. Only Python 2.x does print unicode strings with u prefix. On 3 all are unicode anyway and the prefix is not printed anymore.

Keep in mind that the u is part of printing the data, is not part of the data itself. olansi

If you try to parse as string an array that was converted to a string you are already doing something wrong.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: