cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Am not able to change vASA local account password from ASDM

debbiebeitler
Level 1
Level 1

Having great difficulty changing a local admin account password (which expired)  The ASDM let's me change it.

But when I ssh into the ASA with the new password, it wants me to change it there. This is where it does not work.

1. SSh into the asa with the new password

2. get prompted for the "old" which I presume is the new one just changed in ASDM

3. get prompted for the new password twice, as expected.

SSH disconnects and if I try the new one, the log shows invalid password.  If I use the one changed in ASDM, it goes through the process again.

Nothing shows up in the logs when ssh disconnects, except for "ssh session terminated normally."

Looking for my baseball bat. But I doubt that would help any.

I've seen this work before.  But this is not unique to one vASA,  It happens on most of them.

Have tried different password combinations...etc. will not take the new password from the ssh session.  And serial console access is a joke with most of our cloud environments.

1 Reply 1

debbiebeitler
Level 1
Level 1

As usual I figured out a way to make it work.  Password policy, minimum length is set at 14. The passwords I tried to use in SSH were only 20.  Someone needs a math lesson.  Found that if I took that 20 character password, and doubled it to 40. Works fine.  Just have to ssh in with the 40 character password now.  Do not have any other password policys that would explain this behavior.  Pretty sure it did not need 40.  But I don't have the time to mess with it further.