cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't add modules on Cisco Packet Tracer 8.0 on Macbook

fnaz732125
Level 1
Level 1

I am using Packet Tracer 8.0.0.0212, and I cannot add modules to my device.

I cannot drag or do anything. 

47 Replies 47

Martin L
VIP
VIP

Is this your own new "empty" lab file?  Or did you open a packet activity lab done /made by someone else?

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

Yes, starting my own empty file. 

witchhzl
Level 1
Level 1

me too! help

I just removed the 8.0 version and installed the previous version, 7.3.  Right now it works but for how long is the question of the day.  I will have to wait to find out how this version works in the next few days.  The 8.0 version quit working about a week ago and I wasn't able to get it to work again.  It seems the 8.0 version is not a stable version for the MacBook regardless of the OS you are using.  I tried placing a known working PT file on the desktop which worked but the next day was back to square one.  I have read comments that this was also an issue with Catalina.  

Level 1
Level 1

I have the same problem.  I have PT 8.0 using a Macbook Pro Big Sur version 11.0.1.  It doesn't matter whether I open a previous file from someone else or building one from scratch.  I reported the issue twice and have not had any response back from Cisco.  I have reloaded the program by using the uninstall tool with no success.  Has anyone been able to get a response from Cisco about this issue? 

Paragraph
Level 1
Level 1

Same; it wouldn't work a billion times, even if I re-created the lab assigned file from scratch multiple times. However, once, I zoomed in and it worked. I haven't yet been able to replicate the uncanny allowance, so any tips as to enable it to work as designed (my specific device I'm trying to drag off is a PT-LAPTOP-NM-1CFE in order to replace it with a WPC300N dragged on in its place for the Laptop's WiFi connectability) would be far beyond immensely helpful & appreciated. I've managed to practice an immense amount of self-control in not frisbeeing my otherwise obedient, successfully functioning & prolific MacBook running Catalina 10.15.7 across the room. [Caption should read: what gives? This is what shows when I try to click & drag the Ethernet device. That one time it worked, the drive "popped out" in partial opacity, following my cursor to the left side where I dragged it & and the WPC300N was available to add to the Laptop for successfully joining the wireless network.]

xenoponch
Level 1
Level 1

It seems this problem still hasn't gone away. I am currently still using 7.3 which does seem to work, however I am having to work files that are created with the new program and having to recreate the whole file from scratch. (Edit) never mind I managed to get it working.. I opened both 7.3 and 8 at the same time then suddenly it all started working. 

RegExCreative
Level 1
Level 1

Same issue here. I am using Mac OS Big Sur with the M1 chip. Not able to remove/add modules. Sometimes program crashes.

jsulliva
Level 1
Level 1

The fix is to issue: "chmod 700 /your_directory_path"

For example: macsierras-mbp:~ macsierra$ chmod 700 /Users/macsierra/Cisco\ Packet\ Tracer\ 8.0.0  

For that not mac savvy the easy way to do this is:

1. Open terminal
  2. type: chmod 700
  3. Using FINDER drag the Packet Tracer 8.0 directory over.  
  4. If you need additional help I have a picture attached.Help on PT8.png

Bingo! That's the fix.

-UPDATE-

I found that after restart it had the same issue, changes weren't persistent.  So ultimately it is resolved using the "umask" command.  

1. Follow the instructions below "navigate to the directory"
  2. unmask 011 (sets default permissions)
  3. check with -S option (you can see rwx for user)
  4. now use Packet Tracer and feel free to drag modules.

Screen Shot 2021-05-18 at 9.21.09 AM.png

it is works. thanks you very much

Thanks!

Hi,

I tried your method, and tested by restarting my mac. No luck with the module adding part. 

umask 011 seems to be able to solve the issue when restarting the app. However, packet tracer seems to reverse back to the original setting after restarting the mac.

Regards.