cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Secure Client manual Install macOS -- Loading System Extensions

atticusorion
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I have been trying to install Secure Client 5 and the Umbrella module for macOS Sonoma (14.2) and running into an issue with the system extensions. The document says manual installation would result in a pop-up for activating the system extension, however, I never get a notification or see anything under the security and privacy settings to allow the Socket filter and enable the filters under the network UI. Does anyone have a fix for this? As per the TAC support, I followed their guide to enable the legacy kernel extension which cannot be loaded due to the depreciation of using kernel extensions in macOS 13 and later.

Any help?

For reference, this is the documentation I have been following (this was a link found in the Umbrella documentation) -- https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/vpn_client/anyconnect/Cisco-Secure-Client-5/admin/guide/b-cisco-secure-client-admin-guide-5-0/macos11-on-ac.html#Cisco_Reference.dita_07172081-a8e1-492b-9b50-861af18e7388

3 Replies 3

helpcenterus
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hello @atticusorion,

The issue with system extensions and the lack of a pop-up for activating them could be related to the changes in macOS 13 and later, as kernel extensions are deprecated. Since the TAC support guide suggests enabling the legacy kernel extension, which isn't feasible in recent macOS versions, consider reaching out to Cisco support for updated guidance or alternative solutions that align with the latest macOS requirements.

Best regards

That is where the issue is. The documentation is lackluster. It has not been updated in months. I understand development takes time. However, being a large enterprise, this should be a priority to get resolved as it has been making this tool useless. Cisco TAC support has no idea what is happening with their software.

atticusorion
Level 1
Level 1

Any Cisco employee(s), former employee(s), or anyone who has dealt with this has a solution for this?