Views
Helpful
Replies

device unable to access after authenticated

cisco-ninja
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

Could someone help me what an orphan packet is in this context?

We have a device connected to an SSID but unable to access anywhere. The WLC status for the device is "authenticated" but here is the debug output for this device. The device(Windows) is getting an IP of 10.1.1.100 which matches the IP in the orphan packet line below.

*spamApTask5: Aug 29 14:31:30.351: [PA] xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx Successful transmission of LWAPP Add-Mobile to AP cc:cc:cc:cc:cc:cc
*DHCP Socket Task: Aug 29 14:31:30.400: [PA] xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx DHCP received op BOOTREQUEST (1) (len 334,vlan 29, port 13, encap 0xec03, xid 0xfc820c60)
*DHCP Socket Task: Aug 29 14:31:30.400: [PA] xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx DHCP (encap type 0xec03) mstype 0ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
*DHCP Socket Task: Aug 29 14:31:30.400: [PA] xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx DHCP dropping packet due to ongoing mobility handshake exchange, (siaddr 0.0.0.0, mobility state = 'apfMsMmQueryRequested'
*apfOrphanSocketTask: Aug 29 14:31:30.410: [PA] xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx Orphan Packet from DS - IP 10.1.1.100
*IPv6_Msg_Task: Aug 29 14:31:31.378: [PA] xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx Not Advancing pem state, mscb in apfMsMmQueryRequested mobility state and client state APF_MS_STATE_ASSOCIATED
*apfReceiveTask: Aug 29 14:31:33.166: [PA] xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx 0.0.0.0 DHCP_REQD (7) mobility role update request from Unassociated to Local
Peer = 0.0.0.0, Old Anchor = 0.0.0.0, New Anchor = 10.1.1.2

Thanks

1 Reply 1

Alex Stevenson
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello @cisco-ninja,

I found another discussion with a similar issue. It looks like a solution was never accepted but you could contact the original poster and ask them if they ever solved it, by replying to that discussion and/or sending them a direct message on the Community:

https://community.cisco.com/t5/wireless/dhcp-dropping-packet-due-to-ongoing-mobility-handshake-exchange/td-p/2948428

I also found a bug through the Cisco Bug Search Tool which may be relevant:

https://bst.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvy49428

I hope this helps!

⣿⣿⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⣿⣿⣧⠀⠉⠛⠿⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⠿⠛⠉⣿⣿
⣿⣿⣿⣧⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⠿⠛⠉⠀⠀⠀⣼⣿⣿
⣿⣿⣿⣿⣧⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣸⣿⣿⣿
⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣧⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⢿⣿⣿⣿⡟⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣴⣿⣿⣿⣿
⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣧⡀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠉⠉⠉⠁⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣴⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣶⡆⠀⠀⣤⣶⣶⣤⠀⠀⢀⣠⣶⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⠿⠋⠁⠀⠀⠛⠿⠿⠛⠀⠀⠸⠿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿