Apresentações
Útil
Respostas

Simple network with static MPLS LSP

kleber.rezende
Level 1
Level 1

Hey guys.

I need to configure a fully static MPLS network (both the labels and the LSP), that is, without using LDP, RSVP or any other labeling protocol.

I'm trying to do this on a network with Cisco 1941 routers.
Cisco IOS Software, C1900 Software (C1900-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 15.2(1)T3, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

I've already managed to define the labels statically, with the commands <mpls static binding ipv4 ...> and MPLS forwarding worked as expected. But with LDP creating the label switched path (LSP).

However, I was unable to create a static LSP.

When searching the internet I found this document: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/crs/software/mpls/command/reference/b-mpls-cr-crs/mpls -static-commands.html?dtid=osscdc000283#wp1973952832

It shows how to configure a static LSP on Cisco CRS Routers, basically using the <mpls static> command in global configuration mode and telling which interface will forward packets this way.

router# configure
router(config)# mpls static
router(config-mpls-static)# interface gigabitEthernet 0/1/0/0

However, when trying to reproduce this command on my Cisco 1941, the "router(config-mpls-static)#" prompt does not appear, and although no error message appears, MPLS forwarding does not work.

See output below (note that no error message is displayed):

router# configure
router(config)# mpls static
router(config)#

Any suggestion?

Thanks in advance for your help.

4 RESPOSTAS 4

Translator
Community Manager
Community Manager

Cisco 1941 usa IOS 
CSR usa IOS XE 
por que esses comandos não aparecem no Cisco1941

Pedroxh
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi

I don't understand why you need to configure the label without LDP, RSVP but anyway, I don't know if this router can do this because is a limited device but alternatively, you can try this:

1. enable
  2. configure terminal
  3. mpls label range min-label max-label [static min-static-label max-static-label ]
  4. mpls static binding ipv4 prefix mask [input | output nexthop ] label

More details you can see here
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/mp_basic/configuration/xe-16/mp-basic-xe-16-book/mpls-static-labels.html#GUID-754882DB-9980-4E95-B607-D4430A940FB0

Best regards
******* If This Helps, Please Rate *******

Translator
Community Manager
Community Manager

Isso para o ios xe ele também faz com que o roteador execute ios.

Hi Pedro.

Thanks for the feedback. However, as I mentioned in my post, I already got a working solution where the labels were configured statically (using the commands you mentioned). However, even so, the LDP still distributes these labels.

What is missing from the complete solution is the static configuration of the label switched path (LSP). I found that this can be done on Cisco Carrier Routing System type equipment or with IOS XR (which is not my case).

I used one of the sandbox provided by Cisco: https://devnetsandbox.cisco.com/RM/Diagram/Index/09bf323e-bad4-47b6-bbb6-9e1046300112?diagramType=Topology

But, I believe that it is not possible to integrate this with some equipment outside the testbed environment.

I'm working on a master's project and we've developed a packet forwarding solution (still in its initial phase).
My goal is to test interop with legacy devices. As I have more affinity with Cisco equipment, I started my approach here.

Again, thanks for taking some of your time to try and help me.