Compliment
Réponses

3504 unit HA replacement

GrandGTO
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a HA of 3504 Wireless Controllers on version 8.5.103.0
The primary unit is down (RMA) and now I have a new one on version 8.5.105.0 (almost the same firmware)

What are the goods steps to replace the primary unit ?

Thank you

3 RÉPONSES 3

ammahend
VIP
VIP

it has to be same firmware (not almost same).

follow this community link

-hope this helps-

Is the slave unit going to copy the good configuration to the new master ? I don't want the new unit copy his empty configuration to the slave

Is the slave will become the master ?

Thank you

as per the information your Master Device Failed, so Slave become now Master.

You are replacing the master unitl with RMA, So Current Slave (master) will sync the config with New RMA unit, and it does not failover back - you need to do manually failover if you looking new RMA Device to be master.

if you are cautious, take the backup config out of the box.follow the instruction provide above link or  follow below steps : (I have tested many times)

High level Steps:
- Update code on the replacement primary to match active secondary
- Migrate base AP count license from RMA primary to replacement primary
Add RTU License in line by check Active controller (standby)
- Configure mgmt, redundancy mgmt, redundancy peer
The two redundancy addresses should be identical to the ones from the failed primary. The mgmt address should be an unused IP in the same network as the secondary mgmt.
- Once they pair the primary will pull config from secondary and use that mgmt address
- Connect redundancy ports together on primary/secondary. Connect the network ports.
> config redundancy mode sso on primary
The primary will reboot to enable sso and pull the config from the current active (secondary in this case) unit xml on boot.
Once config is bulk-synced the primary unit is now in HOT STANDBY
> Redundancy force-switchover (from Active Controller)
Done
Make sure to check your mobility group as the new pair will use the MAC address from the replacement primary and not the active secondary.
You can either use config redundancy mac <MAC> on the replacement primary to use the custom MAC you have already configured on your mobility groups.
If you do not do this it cannot be changed after pairing. Then you will have to update the mobility groups themselves with the new mobility MAC from the HA pair.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help