cancel
Visites
Compliment
Réponses

Cisco ASA FW (capture command) is not detecting existing UDP messages

Joerg.Teske
Level 1
Level 1

I have a question related to the interface of a Cisco router.

I have two cases of UDP flows arriving at a Cisco port (I can see them e.g. by connecting the ethernet cable to Wireshark on a windows PC).

The first case behaves as expected (with a capture command I see the UDP packages from 10.61.7.1 to 10.61.7.2case-ok.jpg

In the second case (source is not in the local LAN) I do not see the UDP packackes on the Cisco port (with a capture command I do NOT see any the UDP packages from 10.61.7.1 to  10.61.50.2

case-nok.jpg

As written above, with Wireshark you can see that the UDP packages are visible on this interface. 

Except to find a way to change the source address (has not intended impact) I do not see how I can change the definition of the interface:

interface GigabitEthernet1/1
  description interface
  nameif ifName
  security-level 10
  ip address 10.61.50.3 255.255.255.0
!

1 SOLUTION APPROUVÉE

Solutions approuvées

Thank you for the notes.

Finally I found the problem.

Due to a very big arp timeout (14400) and first connection of the equipment I did not see that the MAC was still not known.

Over night the problem was disappeared. Sorry for this fault (both cases are now working as expected).

Voir la solution dans l'envoi d'origine

8 RÉPONSES 8

Let check first case' how traffic between two host in same subnet hit FW interface?

What FW mode you run

MHM

Sorry, for sure:
Cisco Firewall ASA 5508 K9 (asa984-43-lfbff-k8.SPA )

Best regards

Jörg

friend I ask about the mode of operation 
router or transparent 
the traffic between two host in same subnet not need to pass via GW (in this case it FW)
MHM

For test the two elements are directly connected (Ethernet cable - no routing):

[cid:image004.png@01DA3F10.77093650]

Joerg.Teske
Level 1
Level 1

Updated figures:

cases-updated.jpg

check below notes 
why ASA see traffic forward to other host not it interface ?

cases-updated.jpg

Thank you for the notes.

Finally I found the problem.

Due to a very big arp timeout (14400) and first connection of the equipment I did not see that the MAC was still not known.

Over night the problem was disappeared. Sorry for this fault (both cases are now working as expected).

dont worry friend 
Glad issue is solved 
have a nice day 
MHM