Views
Helpful
Replies

Can Open DNS replace sourcefire URL Filtering

engahmedsaied
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I would like to know if Open DNS can replace sourcefire URL Filtering or help.

as I know cisco made acquisition to open DNS and now under Cisco Umbrella

we had an issue in URL filtering and adviced to use Open DNS.

so how open DNS help ? it can integrate with sourcefire and manage from FireSight or this a separate product.

please let me know more about it also about configurartion how can be done.

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Umbrella is purely cloud-managed and doesn't have anything other than very tangential tie-in with Firepower Management Center. That can be seen as both a good and bad thing. By decoupling it can move at it's own (fast) pace as far as evolving in response to advanced threats. On the other hand it is a separate system / console to operate and configure.

In many ways its URL filtering functionality is superior to that offered with Firepower. It is very simple to deploy while being very powerful. It can also protect your remote and roaming clients.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Umbrella is purely cloud-managed and doesn't have anything other than very tangential tie-in with Firepower Management Center. That can be seen as both a good and bad thing. By decoupling it can move at it's own (fast) pace as far as evolving in response to advanced threats. On the other hand it is a separate system / console to operate and configure.

In many ways its URL filtering functionality is superior to that offered with Firepower. It is very simple to deploy while being very powerful. It can also protect your remote and roaming clients.