cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Fire AMP Application Blocking

Victor Garcia
Level 1
Level 1

I have a question about blocking an executable by our defined Application Blocking rule/list.  If I have a file called UpdateTask.exe and it is located in a user profile \.....\.....; will it black the application at is file location or will it block any executable that has the name UpdateTask.exe?  I ask because this issue can exist with the uninstall.exe files as well.  I do not want to add this exe to the block list if it includes all of them as opposed to the ones located in the file path.  Basically, just in case I am not clear, I do not want to block a legitimate updatetask.exe or uninstall.exe file, I only want to block those that are associated with malicious application's path.  I hope I am being clear enough, if not, please ask and I will try to word it better. 

2 Replies 2

So in reference to your articles you have pointed me to, you are relying on no collisions in SHA-256 from one you mark as malware and one that may be safe from a legitimate application.  I already read these prior to my question and I was hoping for a little more insight, if there is any, on how AMP for EP may be able to distinguish between these possible issues even if they are negligible at best/worst. :)  Thanks for your reply.