cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Allowing Natted IPs through ASA?

CiscoBrownBelt
Level 6
Level 6

You must still use the natted IP not the real source IP in the access-rules correct?

4 Replies 4

Hi,
No, you always use the real IP address in the ACL not the natted ip address.

I believe older version of ASA, v8.2 (from memory) however was different in regard to NAT. I assume you have a relatively new 9.x version of ASA? In which case use the real IP address.

HTH

Just so I can clarify, so if the IPs are being Natted prior to the FW you need to enter the original IP?

Oh ok sorry, you mean the firewall itself is not doing the nat translation? If this is inbound traffic, and the ASA is not doing any NAT translation/un-translation, then the ASA would only know the public IP address - therefore the ACL rule should reference the only IP address it recieved traffic from (the public IP address).

Yes sorry I should have clarified but awesome thanks!

Just created another post, but what if I want to NAT an internal IP address to another IP address that should be allowed to transverse an IPSEC tunnel on an ASA? Example, I have 160.1.1.10 address that I want to be Natted to 170.1.1.10 which is an source IP allowed to reach 200.1.1.10 destination IP of the IPSEC tunnel? 

In addition to my NAT statement which is:

"Object-Nat" natting static 160.1.1.10 to 170.1.1.10 and choosing Inside interface as source interface (160.1.1.10 host is in the Inside interface) and Outside interface (IPSEC tunnel starts/exits Outside interface on both Local and Remote Tunnel/ASA devices,

Do I need to create another ACL rule which would be applied to the Crypto Map ACL or no since the Crypto Map ACL is already defining/allowing source address 170.1.1.10 to reach remote destination IP 200.1.1.10?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card