cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5505 Static Clients accessing Internet

GrootLives
Level 1
Level 1

Ever have one of those days where you hit a wall even though you know the answer is "right there" in front of you?

I have an ASA 5505 running v9.1.6. The outside interface is configured with a static ip from the isp. DHCP is configured on the inside interface and workstations are able to browse the internet just fine.

For those workstations on the inside that have a static ip I want to be able to specify the ASA as the dns server and let it worry about the details. For the life of me I cannot get this to work. I may just need to walk away for a bit and let the answer hit me.

Assuming the ASA has an inside ip of 192.168.1.1 and using Google's dns servers (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) what would the configuration be?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Vibhor Amrodia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

You would not be able to do this on the ASA device as the ASA device cannot act as a DNS server as compared to a router.

You can assign the DNS servers using the DHCP configuration but would not be able to service requests for DNS queries.

Thanks and Regards,

Vibhor Amrodia

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Vibhor Amrodia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

You would not be able to do this on the ASA device as the ASA device cannot act as a DNS server as compared to a router.

You can assign the DNS servers using the DHCP configuration but would not be able to service requests for DNS queries.

Thanks and Regards,

Vibhor Amrodia

The limitations of this device frustrate me some days. Can't do dhcp reservations (but a $20 router can), can't do this (but a $20 router can). Can't do...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card