ASA Configuration Examples

Rafael Mendes
Level 2
Level 2

Hello Everyone,

I have a ASA 5550.

I need to configure three points:

• Automatic Backup(if it exists).

• Log shipping to a syslog server(it server can a Cisco Works version 3.2?).

These points can help me?

The configuration of sending logs to a syslog server already contains all the traffic inbound and outbound from the box? Or do I need to set this up the priority of sending logs to the server?

Tks a lot.

Rafael Mendes

2 Replies 2

Ivan Martinon
Level 7
Level 7

For syslog, the level of information that you will send to your syslog depends of the level of logging that you defined, being level 7 the one with more events, so depending on what you need to see on your syslog is what you need to define on your logging trap config, as far as cisco works, as long as cisco works has the syslog feature then it should be possible.

For automatic backup I am assuming you mean configuration backup, ASDM has a feature for backing up configurations, see:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asdm/6_1/user/guide/tools.html#wp1565814

Automatic backup I am not aware is a feature available though, other tools like Cisco Security Mananger or CiscoWorks might have the feature.

Martin Kling
Level 1
Level 1

rafaelmendes wrote:

• Automatic Backup(if it exists).

Hello

In the configuration guide for 8.3 there exist a section for this. "Using a Script to Back Up and Restore Files"

The method described is not optimal and I would prefer that the ASA should support the IOS archive command that can do scheduled backups of the configuration

Regards //Kling

CCIE #36669 (Security)
Cisco Fire Jumper
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card