Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA5520 Copy software Images & configuration

Mahmoud Bakri
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone ,

I have two Firewalls ASA5520 that need to be configured in Failover. I bought a new one having image version 8.2(5) and the Old one which I m using in my network has the version 8.0(2).

Is it possible to upgrade my old Firewall by copying both images ( system image file & ASDM image file) from the new Firewall into the Old one and make the old one Boot using these 2 files ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You an upgrade directly from 8.0 ->8.2. 

Just wanted to let you know that 8.2 is EOL from Cisco and no security patches will be released (unless its critical). If you are planning to keep those ASAs for long time, consider upgrade to latest version 9.x. Make sure to read Memory requirement & syntax change post 8.3, if you go in that route.

hth

MS

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Ajay Saini
Level 7
Level 7

Yes, that is possible and should work as long as the hardware is same which I assume is the case here.

HTH

-

AJ

Ok , will give it a try .
thanks

You an upgrade directly from 8.0 ->8.2. 

Just wanted to let you know that 8.2 is EOL from Cisco and no security patches will be released (unless its critical). If you are planning to keep those ASAs for long time, consider upgrade to latest version 9.x. Make sure to read Memory requirement & syntax change post 8.3, if you go in that route.

hth

MS

ok , thanks

Shouldn't I upgrade first to an 8.1 version then to the 8.2 ?

No, 8.1 is not meant for ASA 5520 platform. Directly upgrade to 8.2 from 8.0 and you should be fine.

HTH

-

AJ

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card