cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot logon via VPN connection using an ICS server

PeterVanDyck
Level 1
Level 1

At home I have a small network set up, using a central PC A on which Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) is enabled (IP address 192.168.0.1 is allocated to this PC). PC B, having VPN client V4.0.x loaded, is connected to PC A. ICS dynamically attributes an IP address 192.168.0.n to PC B. Although a VPN connection (via IP address 194.79.185.227) can be created with a server at the office over the internet, it is impossible to perform a Windows logon and map for example a drive. When using a direct internet link via a telephone modem, it is possible to logon on the office server via the VPN connection.

I have the impression the Cisco firewall inhibits the logon, because of a IP address conflict. When looking into the "Status/Statistics/Route details" window of the VPN client, I notice the secured route 173.19.31.0 is available during the VPN connection. Using the direct telephone line it is possible to ping this address. On the same PC this is impossible, when the ICS server (PC A) is used for the internet communication. The server I am trying to reach at the office has IP address 173.19.31.1.

On the Cisco web site, I found out, that such a configuration should work. Which settings are important with this respect?

1 Reply 1

dcwalker
Level 1
Level 1

I have never found a version of ICS that works with VPN.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card