cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ASA -VPN Ping Question

nickbarber
Level 1
Level 1

Hey guys, I have a Cisco ASA 5505 8.4 I have a Remote Access VPN up and working...for the most part. When I VPN in I would like to be able to access our Mitel phone manager which is just a internal IP you put in the browser. Here is the issue when I am connected I can't ping the address of 10.0.0.250. But I can ping my other servers 10.0.0.2 and 10.0.0.3. Why can I ping some address but not others.

Thanks

Nick

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

Are you saying that the ASA replaced the previous device that acted as the default gateway for the phone system? And also the IP address was changed and this was not taken into consideration on the phone systems network configurations?

This would indicate that the problem is with the phone system having the old gateway IP address configured and it doesnt know where to forward the traffic that is coming from a different network (for which it would require the correct default gateway)

If the internal network that can ping and access the phone system means the hosts that are on the same internal network with the phone system (10.0.0.x) then this is expected as the default gateway is not needed between the hosts in the same network as they communicate directly.

So would be the problem now simply be with the default gateway IP set on the phone system.

- Jouni

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

I would have to say that since ICMP for some hosts work that the device that doesnt work either doesnt allow ICMP or reply to ICMP Echos or its perhaps lacking the default gateway configuration or its default gateway is some other device than your ASA?

Its hard to say if there is anything wrong with the ASA configurations as we have not seen it but initially it seems that it might be a problem with the actual device on the LAN rather than the ASA.

Is the 10.0.0.250 accessed from anywhere else than the same network 10.0.0.0/xx ? If its accessed from other networks succesfully then it would point to a sitaution that its not a problem with the default gateway of the device.

- Jouni

From the internal network I can ping and bring up the webpage on the phone system. Although when this ASA was installed they did not use the same internal IP as the old firewall. So i know for sure that I did not change the Gateway on the phone system.

Nick

Hi,

Are you saying that the ASA replaced the previous device that acted as the default gateway for the phone system? And also the IP address was changed and this was not taken into consideration on the phone systems network configurations?

This would indicate that the problem is with the phone system having the old gateway IP address configured and it doesnt know where to forward the traffic that is coming from a different network (for which it would require the correct default gateway)

If the internal network that can ping and access the phone system means the hosts that are on the same internal network with the phone system (10.0.0.x) then this is expected as the default gateway is not needed between the hosts in the same network as they communicate directly.

So would be the problem now simply be with the default gateway IP set on the phone system.

- Jouni

Yeah I can cleaning up for the old Admin..I will try to get logged into the phone system and get the gateway changed. I will let you know as soon as a I do!

Thanks a million!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card