Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco PIX 515 3rd Interface

gjeff80
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I was wondering if someone could help me out. We have a Cisco PIX 515, right now it is just being used with the two standard interfaces that come with the unit. We want to create a DMZ and have checked our license and can add a third card. Is their a special card that I need to purchase, will a standard PCI nic such as a 3COM work in the unit, or does it have to be a "special" Cisco unit? Anyone know where they can be purchased if that is the case?

Thanks

Glenn

4 Replies 4

travis-dennis_2
Level 7
Level 7

You need to have the Cisco card. The part number is PIX-1FE. Any Cisco reseller can get this for you. Here is link to CDW for the part.

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=106934

You may hear thay you can use other cards and some of the Intel cards do work but please spare yourself the pain and get the Cisco card.

Please remember to rate the posts

That's, what's the problem with using an Intel Card?

Some Intel cards will work better than the other brands but it is hit or miss with any card other than the Cisco; special chipsets, etc. Not to mention that it is not supported by TAC and I have seen some horrible perfomance when other cards are used.

Travis is right indeed, especially on the non support by TAC. PIX-1FE will work in all cases, and is supported by TAC.

You could consider buying a PIX-4FE for future scalabilty if you like, cause the hardware will be supported, but only one interface of this card can be activated then (but I'm not sure if TAC supports this...)

Kind regards,

Leo

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card