cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DNS registration issues with VPN client

jenssri
Level 1
Level 1

I have an odd thing that is intermittently occuring with my users who connect using the Cisco VPN client. This happens in multiple versions of the client. Due to a number of reasons we have our PC's set to auto register their IP addresses with our dns servers. The majority of the time they register with the address handed to them by our concentrator when the connect in. However in about 30-40% of the cases they register with their original IP address space which is assigned on their Ethernet interface. Any idea if there is some setting with VPN client or concentrators to assist in having the devices register with the address given to them from our concentrator? Or is this more likely a Microsoft issue? The odder part is that it is not consistent even on the same machine with the same machine one time registering with a concentrator supplied adddress and sometimes with local lan address.

Any thoughts would be helpful.

3 Replies 3

jackko
Level 7
Level 7

go configuration | system | address management | assignment

make sure the first option "Use Client Address" is NOT selected.

I have this same issue, but I'm using an ASA 5520 running 7.2.2...

I just closed a very long-winded TAC case and have a resolution. We are using the ASA 5520 running 7.2.2 code as well.

Here is the recommendation from the TAC:

============================================

If your VPN client is lower than 4.8.01.0300, please upgrade to it, and in the vpnclient.ini file, please add the following:

[DNS]

EnableDNSRedirection=0

============================================

It seems to work well (we were running 4.8.02.0010 from the beginning) - we noew only get the VPN ip address registering in DNS. This seems to be one of those "hidden" fixes......

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card