Views
Helpful
Replies

Firepower update

draganzec
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

currently our FMC and modules are running on 6.2.3.9 version.

I can see that newest version is 6.4.0.2.

How can we do an update to newest version, do we need to do it version by version or we could skip some?

I guess that we can't go just directly to newest version.

Thank you.

Br,

Dragan

5 Replies 5

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

From 6.2.3.9 you can go to 6.4.0 Then patch to 6.4.0.2.

Do your FMC first as it must always be equal or higher than the managed devices. FMC 6.4.x can manage 6.2.x devices fine.

You will need to manually download the 6.4.0 packages to a local computer and then upload them to your FMC via the GUI. From there you upgrade FMC and deploy to the managed devices. Once you have 6.4.0 installed you can check for updates and it should find the 6.4.0.2 patch files.

Marvin,

thank you for your reply.

Does it matter if OS version is  Cisco Fire Linux OS 6.2.3 (build13)?

Can we still go to 6.4x with this OS version?

Thank you.

Br,

Dragan

Yes - generally speaking you can directly upgrade any 6.2.3.x release directly to 6.4.0. The release notes confirm this:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/firepower/640/relnotes/firepower-release-notes-640/upgrade.html#id_70466

There are a few other minor caveats explained in detail in the release notes. One should ALWAYS carefully read the release notes for any Cisco software upgrade. 

Note if you have ASA 5506-X or 5512-X devices they are ineligible to run any 6.3 or later release.

I am just wondering if we need to update OS first.

I found some Firepower Management Center Virtual install package for KVM on https://software.cisco.com/download/home/286259687/type/286271056/release/6.3.0 .

Should this be installed first or Sourcefire Linux OS is upgraded with FMC upgrade all together?

The KVM package is only for those customers (very very few) who run their virtual FMC on KVM as opposed to VMware ESXi.

Whether you run FMC on either of those (or even on physical hardware appliances), the upgrade package includes all of the necessary operating system upgrades.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card