Views
Helpful
Replies

FMCv license

Loc120287
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have two pair of FTDs. What license of FMC I should buy?

FMCv2 (VMware) or FMCv10 (VMware) or Management Center 1700 ?

I think FMCv10 is the right choice but I am not sure 100%. I would like to hear your advice.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/firepower/fmc_model_migration/b_FMC_Model_Migration_Guide/about_fmc_model_migration.html

Thanks

Loc

4 Replies 4

@Loc120287 either virtual or physical will meet your requirements. If you go with FMCv 10 you would need to ensure you have the virtual resources, this will provide the same functionality as the physical hardware...but the virtual image has the benefit to vmotion the VM to other hosts (if required).

Another option is to use the cloud delivered FMC (cdFMC) - https://secure.cisco.com/secure-firewall/docs/cloud-delivered-firewall-management-center this provides the same functionality as on premise, but does not require virtual resources nor physical on premise hardware.

For the physical one, I guess  Management Center 1700 is much more expensive to compare with FMCv 10 + a VM, correct?

@Loc120287 yes the FMC 1700 hardware would be more expensive than the VM license, as you are puchasing the hardware aswell.

Obviously if you go with VM you need to factor in if you have enough resources on the Vmware hosts, which may be an additional cost.

The FMCv you go for depends on your needs, how many FTDs you need to manage with it. So if you are managing less than or equal to 10 FTDs and have no plans of near future expansion, then the FMCv10 would suite you.

As for going for virtual over hardware FMC this would depend on your virtual environment.  Yes, the license for managing the FTDs is cheaper than purchasing the FMC 1700, but there is a virtual cost in that you would need to dedicate the required resources to the FMCv.  If this is not an issue for you then FMCv would be the clear choice as the virtual environment is already paid for.  If you are not able to reserve the required resources for the FMCv or you need to purchase more virtual resources to do so, then you would need to way that cost up against purchasing the physical FMC.

--
Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card