cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FTDv Jumbo Frames

stamperbrian
Level 1
Level 1

I'm messing around in lab and trying to get the FTDv to do jumbo frames.  According to the documentation its pretty simple but I've not had any luck.  I set the MTU on the Interface to 9000 and FMC said it was enabling jumbo frames and to reboot.  I deployed, rebooted.  

ping -l 11484 -f works but anything larger than 1484 fails.  Any other hosts on this same vnic/vswitch like my 9800v WLC, windows boxes, etc. all work fine up to 8xxx.  Any idea's? Thoughts?  I can't find anything to say this doesn't work with the FTDv. 

2 Replies 2

a.sizov99
Level 1
Level 1

Have the same issue.. Any reply or suggestions on how to verify would be helpfull..

Jumbo support is implemented in the underlying Lina (ASA) code. One of my colleagues faced with a similar issue on ASAv some time ago and found that ASAv doesn't allocate memory blocks during reboot properly on all ASAv variants below ASAv100. For to-the-box traffic (and few other special cases) check "show blocks". If you see "1" in the MAX column for 9344 blocks, the allocation is incorrect and to-the-box ping and OSPF may not work. FAILED counter will increment. For through-the-box traffic also check "show blocks interface". Also check "show jumbo-frame reservation".

Then another issue was found which affects all ASAv including ASAv100: large frames were dropped by ESXi due to MTU Check Enforcement: "In ESXi version 6.7 update 2 and later, the default behavior of the platform is enforced to perform a MTU check on the receiving path and will not allow packets that are larger than the vNIC's MTU size". Not sure if this is relevant for your case though.

HTH

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card