Views
Helpful
Replies

FWSM not comming up

sasidhar01
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

our FWSM (in 6509) is not comming up, when tried to sesssion up using "Session slot 1 proc 1" command,

It is giving error , "Tyring 127.0.0.11 .....connection timed out remote host not responding".

In "show mod" command output at Switch in IOS console: 

Under Card Type Section:  it is showing Model & Serial Number correctly, 

Under MAC address sectino: displaying some MAC address

But in Online Diag Status, it showing "Unknown" for Module 1.

We tried re-seating in other slots, but of no use. Giving same error.

Some of other forms are saying it is the issue with 128 Mb CF image problem,

FWSM is no more reachable from 6509 IOS consolie.

We even tried using FWSM console (using PC-Conse & LCP Console) but FWSM is not contactable. 

Can some please adivce me here what could be the problem.

If it is the issue with Compat Flash image, please advice steps to image CF for FWSM. 

Thanks

Sasidhar.

1 Reply 1

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It appears you have a hardware failure in which case the TAC would issue an RMA to exchange the broken FWSM. Do you not have a Smartnet contract covering your FWSM?

If I was looking at it, I would try monitoring via the FWSM console during a reset with full memory test (described here) and watching for boot time errors.

hw-module module mod_num reset [cf:n] [mem-test-full]

If you have a high availability pair, perhaps you could schedule a maintenance window during which you could move the CF card from the working one to further isolate / troubleshoot the problem. If the working unit's CF card tests OK in the currently failed unit, you might be able to do an exact copy from the working unit onto a new CF card to get things back up.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card