cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to upgrade FMC

Trinh Nguyen1
Level 1
Level 1

Last year we ordered Cisco FirePower Management Center (VMWare) for 2 devices SF-FMC-VMW-2-K9
and SWSS upgrades Cisco FirePower Management Center (VMWa_CON-ECMU-SFMMCVMK) both of them were active on Feb 2023 and now FMC are running on version 7.0.5 now we would like to ugrade to version 7.5. In 

7 Replies 7

Pulkit Mittal
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi Trinh,

The latest info I could find is below:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/secure-firewall/upgrade/management-center/740/upgrade-management-center-741/planning.html#r_ftd-upgrade-path

Regards,

Pulkit M.

Please Accept this solution if you find it helpful.

Did you mean you wan to upgrade to version 7.2.5?  7.5 does not currently exist for the FMC / FTD devices.

In any case, upgrading to either 7.2.5 or to 7.4.1 can be done directly from version 7.0.5.

--
Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts

Trinh Nguyen1
Level 1
Level 1

I would like to plan below

1. Upgrade FMC to 7.2.5

2 Update FTDs to 7.2.5

Each step takes apart 1 week. for example first task will be done this week the second task will be done on next week. During waiting for the second task is system still good? what should I notice when applying this plan 

I would recommend using the recently released 7.2.6. Just be sure to have an FMC backup that you have copied off the appliance VM to external storage.

Please answer the question that is there any risk if FMC and FTD are using different version at same time. As I mention above we will upgrade FMC first and then one week later we will upgrade FTD. In one week FMC and FTD are running in different versions.

I highly recommend that you read the release notes for the version you are upgrading to and upgrade guides so you have a better understanding of the upgrade process.  that the FMC is running a higher version than the FTD is not an issue but you cannot have the FTD running a higher version than the FMC, this is not supported.  Refer to the compatibility matrix for more information on which FMC version can support the various lower versions of FTD.

--
Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts

Like @Marius Gunnerud said - running FMC versions higher that managed FTD devices is quite common and fully supported (subject to the compatibility matrix).

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card