Views
Helpful
Replies

Inline Set Inquiry

bmak
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a firepower device currently running on my FMC. 

Ongoing through the GUI of the FMC for the particular firepower device, I came across a tab called "Inline sets"

I would please like to know what the Inline sets are and what it is used for.

From the cisco documentation, I am not able to get a lot of info on it, only that it supports Hardware Bypass.

Please provide any links you may have that also have helpful information.

1 Reply 1

Abheesh Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Inline Interfaces allow traffic to flow through the IPS engine, so that traffic that is deemed harmful can be actively filtered out. 

An Inline Interface differs from other interfaces, it consists of two different Physical Interfaces. This way, the IPS engine can inspect the traffic coming from one interface and either stop the traffic or send it out through the other interface. Two interfaces are equal in the configuration and traffic that is allowed through is always forwarded from one interface to the other (there is no routing decision involved in this).

Hardware bypass means fail open interface have the capability to function when the IPS engine or the hardware is down. 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/firepower-ngfw/200924-configuring-firepower-threat-defense-int.html

Hope This Helps

Abheesh

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card