Views
Helpful
Replies

NAC Guest server for wired and wireless

Vishal Arora
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

My customer wants the NGS to install for both wired and wireless users. For wireless users we can integrate it with the WLC but i don't know how it will work for wired users at the same time. Pls suggest.

Thanks

6 Replies 6

Nicolas Darchis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Vishal,

you can use NGS as a hotspot to provide the web login page with the switch webauth. It's basically an web authentication on the switch with the NGS as external server.

I would start with this :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/iosswrel/ps6537/ps6586/ps6638/app_note_c27-577494.html

Regards,

Nicolas

Hi Nicolas

Thanks for your valuable reply. As per the document posted by you i am sumarrizing my understanding on the solution. Pls correct me if i am wrong.

We will integrated User switches with the ACS for the RADIUS. Now for user database we will integrate NGS as the external user database with ACS.

My question is if this is yes then will all the policies we configure on NGS will work.

Thanks

Vishal

Tiago Antunes
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Vishal,

Please note that if you want to return ACLs (and usually in wired web auth you need to), you will have to integrate with ACS as NGS itself cannot return ACLs in the reply radius attributes.

Basically the process is as follows:

1 - Client plugs cable on switch.

2 - Web auth is triggered on the port.

3 - default ACL permiting only DNS and DHCP is applyed so that the client PC can obtain IP address and open a browser.

4 - Client will be redirected to the NGS hotspot login page.

5 - Client will enter credentials.

6 - Client broswer will send an HTTP POST packet containing the credentials.

7 - The switch will intercept the POS packets and retrieve the credentials entered.

8 - The switch will send Radius Access-Request to the ACS.

9 - The ACS will use the NGS as External Identity source to authenticate the client.

10 - The NGS will reply with Radius Access-Accept to the ACS and the ACS will reply to the switch including the ACL in the Access-Accept.

11 - the Switch authorizes the client on the port and applies the ACL it received from the ACS.

Please follow the document Nicolas posted as it is a good one.

HTH,
Thanks

Hi

Thanks for your valuable reply. As per the document posted by Nicolas i am sumarrizing my understanding on the solution. Pls correct me if i am wrong.

We will integrated User switches with the ACS for the RADIUS. Now for user database we will integrate NGS as the external user database with ACS.

My question is if this is yes then will all the policies we configure on NGS will work.

Thanks

Vishal

Yes, they will stil work.

The ACS function is simply to add the ACL attribute which is the only thing the NGS cannot do.

Cheers,
Tiago

Without the ACS, only with the NAC guest is possible?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: