Views
Helpful
Replies

NAT dynamic and static Statements

jack samuel
Level 1
Level 1

Dears,

I am following the below link to understand the NAT above 8.3 and I have fall into one question, when we should use dynamic & static keyword in the TWICE or MANUAL NAT commands. .

As I know the dynamic keyword is for dynamic nat and static keyword is for static nat  but in the below statement why it was necessary to use the dynamic keyword

nat (inside,dmz) source dynamic NET-10.129.100.47 obj-172.30.52.98 destination static obj-172.16.3.0 obj-172.16.3.0

3 Replies 3

Aditya Ganjoo
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Jack,

On newer ASA versions we have the ability to do Twice NAT which means we can use one nat for the source traffic and one for destination. Since we are having both source and destination nat in one statement we call this as Twice NAT.

In this case host 10.129.100.47 is getting dynamically Nat'd to 172.30.52.98 and in the other statement you have a static identity destination NAT which means 172.16.3.0 would be statically natd to 172.16.3.0 itself.

Remember we cannot use dynamic NAT for destination translation.

Regards,

Aditya

Please rate helpful answers and mark correct answers.

Dear aditya,

our source 10.129.100.47  want to reach a destination 172.16.3.0 , so as per your statement it is dynamically natted means what ???

It is natting with one ip 172.30.52.98 and not a pool of ip address so instead of dynamic I would use there a static keyword

Still I m confused what dynamic natting is happening in the statement what I see is all static one-to-one

Dears,

Anybody can help me with the above query

thanks

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card