cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX 501 NAT problem

pglevelle
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 501 firewall for the past couple of years at a client site. In recent months they have a growing problem of a random users not able to connect to the Internet. Typically 1-2 users are able to connect in the morning and then the next user is unable. No pattern of specific users on a small LAN of 4-6 users. Rebooting the 501 by power cycling cures the problem for several days until it happens again. They are now frustrated at want me to solve the issue. The IOS has never been updated.

Clinet has a single public IP address and I "assume" that somehow NAT is not functioning correctly....but not sure.

Any suggestions on how to start solving?

TIA, Phil

17 Replies 17

Patrick,

I am now trying my best to obtain an upgrade to the FOS and PDM for this PIX 501 firewall with version 6.1(1). Very frustrated in tyring to obtain these images from Cisco. I do not have a current support contract and sales support keeps telling me to purchase a smartnet 8x5xnbd I am not impressed to be force to purchase a support on a bug caused by Cisco.

Any suggestions on how to solve this issue of support???

Phil

Phil,

Send me an e-mail (sclayton@cisco.com) and I will see if I can help you out on this.

Scott

Scott and others...

Thanks to all with your suggestions. Finally got TAC to allow me to download the binaries for the latest FOS and PDM. Installed them to the PIX 501 yesterday and they seemed to be working fine. Will only know if the max licensed host limit issue is fixed in the coming week. Now am trying to configure the VPN so that owner can work from home on client proposals.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card