Views
Helpful
Replies

Question regarding ASA

tommygunnah
Level 1
Level 1

Hey everyone,

I'm having a real tough time understanding whats going on..

Our ISP has given us a static range of a /28 to use. Currently we have a public IP address attached to an asa 5505 that handles 1 connection by natting to an internal public server. I need to move this to a sonicwall but the sonicwall will not allow me to create a virtual interface in the same subnet (
One of the interfaces already holds and IP between the sonicwall and the router)

What exactly is needed to move over to the sonicwall from the asa?

I implemented the same NAT statements, and access lists but its still not even pinging.. Once I shut the other side off the traffic should be hitting the correct area? 

Thanks for all your help folks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

On ASA this is enabled by default. 

For Sonicwall check the following link:

http://help.sonicwall.com/help/sw/eng/7621/8/0/0/content/Policies_Network_ARP_Snwls.htm

--
Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

I am not entirely sure how Sonicwall works, but in ASA it uses proxy arp to accept traffic on an IP that is not assigned to the interface.  To do this the subnet or IP that the ASA should respond to needs to be routed to the outside interface of the ASA, or the outside interface needs to be in the subnet that is being used.

So, if Sonicwall acts in the same way as ASA does, is the IP you are trying to move routed towards the Sonicwall by your ISP or is it's interface already in the same subnet?

For help on the Sonicwall perhaps it is better to post this in the Sonicwall support forum.

--

Marius, thank you for responding. How do I go about and check if proxy-arp is enabled? or is this something enabled by default? 

On ASA this is enabled by default. 

For Sonicwall check the following link:

http://help.sonicwall.com/help/sw/eng/7621/8/0/0/content/Policies_Network_ARP_Snwls.htm

--
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card