Views
Helpful
Replies

Re-hosting Security Context License

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

hi,

we're going to upgrade a lot of our first gen ASA (5510, 5520, 5550) to 5500-x series and some of them have security context license installed. my question, can i re-host/re-use the security context license (request TAC) on these older ASA to the new x-series FW in order to save some $?

1 Reply 1

mikael.lahtela
Level 4
Level 4
Hi,

Don't think Cisco will allow this, but you could contact Cisco license and see.
The re-host features are all grayed on my license page.

- The activation key is tied to the serial number of the device. Feature licenses cannot be transferred between devices (except in the case of a hardware failure). If you have to replace your device due to a hardware failure, and it is covered by Cisco TAC, contact the Cisco Licensing Team to have your existing license transferred to the new serial number. The Cisco Licensing Team will ask for the Product Authorization Key reference number and existing serial number.
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/asa90/configuration/guide/asa_90_cli_config/intro_license.html#93824

br, Micke
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card