cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Strange behaviour on network due to improperly configured ASA?

bluemookie
Level 1
Level 1

My company recently deployed a new mail server last month.  Since then, every hour or so, one user will be unable to recieve mail.  It's an Ubuntu 10.04 server running Zimbra mail, and all clients are configured for POP access.  Most of the errors will say the the connection has been interrupted.  From the workstation, I will try to ping the mail server at 192.168.1.26 and get no reply.  If I go to the mail server and ping the workstation, after a couple seconds, there is data flow.  If I check the workstation again, it is now able to ping the server, and now, able to receive mail.

We have another linux mail server in place (192.168.1.25) that works without any problems.  We are getting rid of this old mail server in a couple months.  My concern is that when I modified the firewall (Cisco ASA 5505, 8.2(2)), I might not have done everything correctly or may have missed a step.  Is there anyone out there that can look at a show run log or give me some idea what to do?  I'm not well versed at Cisco stuff.  I administer this firewall using the ASDM software version 6.2(5).  What would be my first step at troubleshooting this strange behaviour?

16 Replies 16

So, what should I use?  Telnet?  Just telnet to it and log on as the normal user that I logon with on the GUI?  And I would see this problem once an hour.

Kyle,

Telnet/ssh access with same credentials you use for ASDM access should be fine.

Since you have not seen it for almost 24 hours, I'm hoping for the best ;-)

Marcin

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card