Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to get Console through Hyperterminal Software

Ramu Ch
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Team,

Eventhough my Problem  seems to be small, there is no way i found to reach you.

I am Unable to get Console Activity on ASA 5520 version 8.2 using Hyperminal Software,

The Following observation i found :

a) No charecters are visible eventhough rebooted the Firewall several times

b) Changed Console cables , COM Ports , systems

c) Tried with Different OS like Win XP , Win2k3 & WIN7

d)  I followed the Hyperminal Softwares Help lines Guide manual but No solution i got.

Pls suggest to get Console activity

Regards

Ramu

8 Replies 8

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Have you tried other software like putty?

Regards.

Alain.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Hi,

I am Using Win 2k3 and Win XP.

What is the  Procesure as i have tried using Putty using Serial line option but i couldnt get the connection.

Regards

Ramu

hobbe
Level 7
Level 7

If you are unable to get console contact

First check that it is in the Console port you are connected.

(blue label stating console on it.) The AUX port does not work on the ASA, it is for internal use only according to Cisco.

Check the settings on the serial port of the pc in hyper terminal.

9600,n,8,1

If you have tested different com ports and different cables, then check with a known good serial connection.

(fx use a crossover serial connection between two com ports on the computer and what you type in one should get up in the other hyperterminal.)

Or a switch/firewall that you can get serial contact with,

if the serial connection works with other devices such as a switch and something else but not with this specific firewall then you have two conclusions.

1) the port on the firewall is not configured as standard

2) the port on the firewall is broken.

I am not shure on how to do answer nr 1 on the ASA but I have done ít on switches and routers.

try changing speed to 115,2  if it does not work then just gradually change it downwards.

good luck

HTH

Thanks Hobbe.

Will update you my testings

Regards

Ramu

Hi ,

I did as you suggested , but couldnt work. Is there is alternate way.

Firewall have a USB and Management Port, Will these ports help to configure ?

Regards

Ramu

Hi,

Firewall have a USB and Management Port, Will these ports help to configure ?

The management port is an ethernet port so you can use it indeed by connecting a crossover rj45 cable from pc and then telnet/ssh into asa.

The default ip address is 192.168.1.1.

Regrads.

Alain.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Ok

So if I do not misunderstand you

You have tested with another device and the serial cable works there but when you connect to the firewall it stops working.

and you have tested with different speeds so it is not a configuration problem.

the port is for all purposes dead.

check to se that the pegs in the port is not bent or destroyed.

if they are, then you can gently try to reset them. be gentle and do not break them off.

If it is under contract then open a tac case to get a replacement.

If it is not under contract order a new one and scrap the old.

The serial port is one of the most important ports on the firewall I would not consider one with a broken serial port to be safe to run in a production environment.

The management port is just a management port by name.

it can be used as a management port or it can be used as a normal network port. (fx we try to use it for failover link if needed)

it is an ethernet port just as any of the others, you can try to attach a computer on that port and se if you get a DHCP address assigned to you.

if you get an address try to use https and the ip address that served you the DHCP address.

you might get a warning that the certificate is not a proper one, ignore that warning and choose to either download or run the ASDM on the devicec, (hopefully you will have the username and password for the device).

there is some stuff you can do with the flashcard if you have an equal type of firewall, but lets not go into them unless we realy have to.

Good luck

HTH

Thanks for your information.

I will raise a TAC for this

Regards
Ramu

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card