cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading from 5.4.X to 6.X

lmccreery
Level 1
Level 1

The release notes for this upgrade are very clear and jump around a lot.  I just want to double check my logic.  FMC@5.4.1.6 and Sensors at 5.4.0.7.  Is this the proper order to upgrade the FMC and do the hotfixes need to be installed?  Also at what point in the upgrade of 6.X do I need to start bringing the sensors up to speed?

Version 5.4.1.1+ > Version 6.0.0 Pre-Installation Package > Version 6.0.0 > Version 6.0.1 Preinstall > Version 6.0.1 > Version 6.1.0 Pre-Installation Package > Version 6.1.0 > Version 6.2.0 > Version 6.2.2 > Version 6.2.2.1

6 Replies 6

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The upgrade process is nasty, and sometimes breaks.  I wouldn't go down that path.

Just get the FMC upgraded, and then re-image the sensors with the latest software and re-deploy the rules.

Re-Image the sensors?  None of my sensors are local.  That would require sending out a replacement or traveling to each location.

If they are ASA's, just connect to the ASA and then the module.

I bet sending people out will still be easier than the upgrade ...

They are not ASA.  Management will flip if we have to re-image or replace.  Last time to go from 4 --> 5 was a nightmare.

Has anyone upgraded from 5.4 --> 6.X successfully without re-imaging?

I had had success going from 5.4 to 6.x - but I have also had horrible failures - and now I don'r risk it anymore. Customers like me to tell them how long a job is going to take, and re-imaging gives me a number I can give them with certainty.

ps. The upgrade process takes a *very* long time, when it works.

bstewart
Level 1
Level 1

6.2.3 (which will be out of beta Real Soon) has a "1-hop upgrade" feature.  Unfortunately, it only works for upgrades from 6.1 or above, and 6.2.x FMC can't manage a 5.4 sensor, but it's a start.  So you

- upgrade the FMC to 6.1 (or deploy a VM FMC for long enough to do the upgrades)

- use the 6.1 FMC to upgrade the 5.4 sensors to 6.1 (which takes a couple of hops, and is slow.)

- upgrade the FMC to 6.2.3

- use the 6.2.3 FMC to upgrade the 6.1 sensors to 6.2.3

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: