Views
Helpful
Replies

which routing protocols are supported on ASA 5585

Jigar Dave
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

I am curious to know which routing protocol is well supported on Cisco ASA 5585. do someone on the forum has implemented routing on ASA?

I have ASA 5585 on context mode, as of now 4 contexts have been created. upstream device is Nexus.

I have ASA with Software Version 8.4(4)1 and Device Manager Version 6.4(9).

if someone can point me to good implemented example of routing protocol to their environment (like OSPF, BGP) that would be great.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The ones John posted (plus PIM for multicast and static routes of course) are what's supported on ASA 8.4 software. See also the configuration guide section on routing for details. ASA 9.0 added OSPF v3 for IPv6 routing.

All dynamic routing protocols are a bit limited on the ASA but if you understand and work within those limitations it can be useful.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

Hi,

AFAIK, most ASA supports EIGRP, OSPF and RIP routing protocols only.

ciscoasa(config)# router ?

configure mode commands/options:
eigrp Enhanced Interior Gateway Routing Protocol (EIGRP)
ospf Open Shortest Path First (OSPF)
rip Routing Information Protocol (RIP)

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

The ones John posted (plus PIM for multicast and static routes of course) are what's supported on ASA 8.4 software. See also the configuration guide section on routing for details. ASA 9.0 added OSPF v3 for IPv6 routing.

All dynamic routing protocols are a bit limited on the ASA but if you understand and work within those limitations it can be useful.

Thanks Marvin,

it looks like limit of running 2 ospf processes on ASA.

we have 4 contexts so this need some design consideration.

Thanks for your response.

You're welcome.

Multiple contexts adds another twist - in ASA 8.4 dynamic routing protocols are not supported at all for multiple contexts. Reference.

ASA 9.0 added support for dynamic routing protocols in multiple context modes, including OSPF v2 (but not v3 for IPv6). Reference.

FYI ASA 9.1(2) is current as of this writing and is the recommended release in the 9.x train. (Mentioned near the end of the latest TAC Security podcast - episode #37 here.)

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card