Views
Helpful
Replies

Flooding with Layer 2 Handoff

OrkhanRustamli
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I have a question: Let say I have a VN where most devices are silent hosts. I have a controller which is connected to one of the Edge gateways and when I enable Layer 2 Flooding for this VN, Multicast traffic sent from this controller is flooded to these silent hosts from other Edge devices. Now question: Let`s say I want this Controller to sit outside of Fabric in VM server which is connected to Core and Core in its turn connected to Border. NOW, Will flooding work from controller, if I configure L2 Handoff for this VN between Border and Core and then extend this L2 to VM. I mean will traffic flooded to edge and then to silent hosts?

BR,

Orkhan Rustamli

2 Replies 2

kristoff1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

if you enable L2 flooding on that IP Pool it will work. Because there is no difference one doing L2 border drop off or if the device is directly connected to your fabric.

An important remark is that you enable L2 flooding on Pools and not on VN's.

But you can think of this is a good idea to setup this design.

Kind regards,

kristoff

jalejand
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The feature you are looking for is something called IP directed broadcast in DNAC 2.1.2.x

A controller outside the fabric sends a magic packet, which is an SDB (subnet directed broadcast, a broadcast packet for a subnet from a source not on that subnet), this packet is received on a special SVI created by DNAC to forward that broadcast inside the fabric.

Only Cat9k fabrics are supported, starting from 17.3.1 and onwards. L2 flooding is enabled (with flood unknown-unicast under L2 instance) once this feature is enabled.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/cloud-systems-management/network-automation-and-management/dna-center/2-1-2/user_guide/b_cisco_dna_center_ug_2_1_2/b_cisco_dna_center_ug_2_1_1_chapter_01110.html