cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Smart Zoning Multiple vSANs

Terry MacDougal
Level 1
Level 1

This is the first time using the MDS Smart Zoning (9148s) features and definitely saves a lot of time, however I have a question regarding smart zoning multiple vSANs.

Example MDS-A has vSANs from 3 different Cisco UCS FI's (101,103,105). The boot LUNs reside on a single SAN. The links to the SAN from the MDS have trunked vSAN 101,103 and 105. Is it even possible to zone these other vSANs using Smart Zoning or do I have to go back to the single initiator/single target type of zones?

I am not sure how to accomplish this with only one active "zoneset" is permitted.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

if you have initiators in one VSAN and target in another VSAN, you will need to use IVR.  SmartZoning does not work with IVR so you will need to use traditional single initiator <> single targets zoning. Some vendors are ok with single initiator <> multiple targets zoning.  On some arrays if you do that ports will login into each other (SANCopy on VNX for example, OR on Symmetrix).  I don't like to see that so for IVR i continue to do single init <> single target zoning.  Painful, i wish SmartZoning would work with IVR as well.

@dynamoxxx

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

calopez2
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Terry,

You can enable Smart Zoning per VSAN.

Traffic is isolated to the configured VSAN .

Sample below using VSAN 10 with UCS vHBA on FIA with multiple targets.

You will need to configure as appropriate per VSAN level, initiator and target.

Initiator and Target are normally in one unique VSAN.

This would match the UCS Boot Policy and config.

zone name UCSFIA-STORAGE1-A vsan 10
member device-alias storage1 target
member device-alias storage11 target
member device-alias storage12 target
member device-alias storage13 target
member device-alias ucs1-esx1-vHBA1  init

Regards,

Carlos

Yes, thanks I understand that but the issue is with multiple vSANs on the same MDS and you can only have one active zone. Meaning one active vSAN???

if you have initiators in one VSAN and target in another VSAN, you will need to use IVR.  SmartZoning does not work with IVR so you will need to use traditional single initiator <> single targets zoning. Some vendors are ok with single initiator <> multiple targets zoning.  On some arrays if you do that ports will login into each other (SANCopy on VNX for example, OR on Symmetrix).  I don't like to see that so for IVR i continue to do single init <> single target zoning.  Painful, i wish SmartZoning would work with IVR as well.

@dynamoxxx

Ya, that's what I thought but was hoping it wasn't true.... lol

Thanks