Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Comments
Steve Zhang
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

From the version of 15.6, IR829 could support serial interfaces. Please make sure to upgrade your IR829 to version of formal version of 15.5.3M0a (Not authorized to view the specified document 64021) first before upgrading it to 15.6 (Cisco Systems CCO). (The early version of 15.5.2 or others could NOT be upgraded to 15.6 directly or there is some issue. )

IR829 is using RJ45 interface for its serial ports. Please make sure to use the RJ45-to-DB9 serial cable following the EIA-561 standard. The Cisco RJ45-to-DB9 Serial Console Cable (blue cable) does NOT follow the EIA-561 standard, and is not compatible with CGR1240 and IR829 RJ45 serial ports.  For details of serial interface pinouts, please refer to https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/access/800/829/hardware/install/guide/829hwinst/pview.html#85723. You may make the adapter by your own with the guide of https://www.usconverters.com/downloads/support/db9_rj45_assembeling_guide.pdf

For the configuration, it is quite similar with CGR1000 (Not authorized to view the specified document 53948). The main difference is the interface name. You need to revise them accordingly. And you may remove “Async mode dedicated” as it is for SLIP only. Here are the main configuration information for IR829. For the baud-rate, you may set it to 9600 for example as well. And then you may access the serial interfaces of "/dev/ttyS1" and "/dev/ttyS2" in GOS. Here below is the example for RS232.

interface Async0

no ip address

encapsulation relay-line

!

interface Async1

no ip address

encapsulation relay-line

line 1

transport preferred none

transport input all

stopbits 1

speed 115200

line 2

transport preferred none

transport input all

stopbits 1

speed 115200

relay line 1 1/5

relay line 2 1/6

For RS485, you need to set the media-type as rs485 for the SERIAL 0. Please notify, the SERIAL 0 supports RS-232 and RS-485 (DCE), and SERIAL 1 supports RS-232 (DTE) only.

interface Async0

no ip address

encapsulation relay-line

half-duplex

media-type rs485

FOR THE LATEST INFORMATION AND A PYTHON SERIAL EXAMPLE, PLEASE REFER TO https://developer.cisco.com/docs/iox/#python-serial-example.

Comments
brettkugler
Level 4
Level 4

Question on basic operations - where is the relationship between the interface ie. Async 0 and the line ie. line 1 drawn?  I am uncertain and am having an issue with my current config where the line data I'm reading is coming from the wrong device (the GPS info from Cellular0) instead of Async0 where I would expect it based on all the examples.  So how do I map something from an interface to a line?

scott.mattan
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I followed the above procedure, and am only able to achieve one way serial communication.  Is there something that needs to be done to achieve two way serial comms?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Quick Links