Helpful
Replies

ACI legacy trunk

Jonathan0410
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Jonathan0410_2-1679675825417.png

Apologies in advance if this question has been asked before, I just have managed to get a mental block.

We will be connecting a new (network centric) ACI network into our existing catalyst core which is currently VSS but will be split in the not too distant future and I'm just looking for some recommendations on how to connect ACI to legacy for when we split. The plan is to extend the EPGs from ACI into the existing LAN so I thought just to run an ether channel trunk from each catalyst into a leaf and my question is where will spanning tree block ports.

thank you in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

Hi @Jonathan0410 ,

The answer depends on where the Root bridge is for each particular VLAN. My picture assumes that CAT 6800-1 is the root for VLAN 10 and CAT 6800-2 is the root for VLAN 20

RedNectar_0-1679682474082.png

But one more thing: IF YOU ARE USING 802.1 STANDARD MST, you must create a special EPG that captures untagged traffic (i.e the MST BPDUs) and place the ACI leaf ports facing the CAT switches in that EPG so that the BPDUs propagate through ACI.

IF YOU ARE USING CISCO PROPRIETARY PER VLAN SPANNING TREE (or RAPID PER VLAN SPANNING TREE) then you don't need to do this because the Cisco Proprietary BPDUs come with VLAN tags of 10 or 20 and will be automatically propagated.

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

Hi @Jonathan0410 ,

The answer depends on where the Root bridge is for each particular VLAN. My picture assumes that CAT 6800-1 is the root for VLAN 10 and CAT 6800-2 is the root for VLAN 20

RedNectar_0-1679682474082.png

But one more thing: IF YOU ARE USING 802.1 STANDARD MST, you must create a special EPG that captures untagged traffic (i.e the MST BPDUs) and place the ACI leaf ports facing the CAT switches in that EPG so that the BPDUs propagate through ACI.

IF YOU ARE USING CISCO PROPRIETARY PER VLAN SPANNING TREE (or RAPID PER VLAN SPANNING TREE) then you don't need to do this because the Cisco Proprietary BPDUs come with VLAN tags of 10 or 20 and will be automatically propagated.

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

Jonathan0410
Level 1
Level 1

Ah yes rootbridge of course.  Sometimes you are so focussed on one problem that you can't see the answer.

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer this.

Have a great weekend!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License