Views
Helpful
Replies

ACI switch of new switch assigned to an existing upgrade group

Johannes Luther
Level 4
Level 4

Hi board,

in my ACI fabric I have a upgrade group, which is called for example "pod1-leaf-odd"

All my leaf switches in pod1 are in this group, which have an odd node id. So current status is, all my switches are upgraded to the correct version using the upgrade group. => All good

Now I add a new switch to the fabric in pod 1 ... the switch has an odd number. The switch is added to the existing upgrade group "pod1-leaf-odd". Problem is, that I see the new switch in the upgrade group along with all the already existing switches. The existing switches have the correct version ... the new switch has an incorrect software version (4.x APIC).

If I trigger an upgrade now, it's triggered for all switches in the upgrade group ... right? Are the existing switches, which are already on the correct SW version skipped in this process?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you re-trigger the upgrade group, it will only apply to switches that need it.  Switches running the same version assigned, will not be affected. 

There is another feature called Auto Firmware Update (Fabrc > Fabric Membership > Auto Firmware Update tabwhich can automate this process when discovery a switch at a lower version, even without having to be assigned to an Upgrade group.

Robert

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you re-trigger the upgrade group, it will only apply to switches that need it.  Switches running the same version assigned, will not be affected. 

There is another feature called Auto Firmware Update (Fabrc > Fabric Membership > Auto Firmware Update tabwhich can automate this process when discovery a switch at a lower version, even without having to be assigned to an Upgrade group.

Robert

Hey Robert,

thank you for the reply. I'll try it out.

Regarding the "Auto Firmware Upgrade": I'm still on 4.2(7). I guess this feature is introduced in 5.x.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License