cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ACI VMM migrating existing VDS

dnoc43
Level 1
Level 1

We currently have vmware ESX VDS setup using static port EPGs.  We'd like to move all our static EPGs over to new VMM VDS. Is it possible to create a new VMM vlan pool with new dynamic EPGs as well as existing static EPGs? This means we'll have the same static VLANs in both VLAN pools.  These VLAN pools will attach to separate Physical and VMM domains using separate AAEPs.  The static EPG will be associated with both physical and vmm domain.  Is this a supported configuration? 

vmm.png

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

Hi @dnoc43 ,

Is it possible to create a new VMM vlan pool with new dynamic EPGs as well as existing static EPGs?

Technically, it is possible to create a new VMM VLAN pool with new dynamic EPGs as well as existing static EPGs?

But you probably don't want to do that - firstly, you probably don't need to, and secondly because ACI will not see VLAN95 in the original static pool as BEING IN THE SAME BPDU FLOODING SCOPE as static VLAN95 in the new pool.  This is a pretty complicated topic, but I'm sure you'll find some good info on Overlapping VLAN pools out there.

But like I said, you probably don't need to, because when the VMs are moved from the current static port vSwitch to the new dynamic port vSwitch, they will get allocated a new dynamic VLAN

So all you need to do is forget about putting the Static VLANs in the Dynamic pool

RedNectar_0-1679692194908.png

And that will work...

...unless you have some totally die-hard technician that INSISTS that the VMs keep the same VLAN ID!

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

Hi @dnoc43 ,

Is it possible to create a new VMM vlan pool with new dynamic EPGs as well as existing static EPGs?

Technically, it is possible to create a new VMM VLAN pool with new dynamic EPGs as well as existing static EPGs?

But you probably don't want to do that - firstly, you probably don't need to, and secondly because ACI will not see VLAN95 in the original static pool as BEING IN THE SAME BPDU FLOODING SCOPE as static VLAN95 in the new pool.  This is a pretty complicated topic, but I'm sure you'll find some good info on Overlapping VLAN pools out there.

But like I said, you probably don't need to, because when the VMs are moved from the current static port vSwitch to the new dynamic port vSwitch, they will get allocated a new dynamic VLAN

So all you need to do is forget about putting the Static VLANs in the Dynamic pool

RedNectar_0-1679692194908.png

And that will work...

...unless you have some totally die-hard technician that INSISTS that the VMs keep the same VLAN ID!

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

Thank you Chris, that makes total sense. Sometimes it's hard to stop thinking like a caveman.  

Currently our management and storage uplinks are on standard switches using the same VPC. So we need to either separate these onto their own vmnics or move them to the DVS.  I assume standard practice is to have mgmt and storage on their own vmnics. vmware supports both. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License