Views
Helpful
Replies

Change forwarding scale profile for VPC member

waschminator
Level 1
Level 1

hello,

we have to change the forwarding scale profile on 2 switches from high dual stack to IPv4. for that to happen i need to change the Leaf Policy group in the Leaf profile. so far so good.

the problem is now that the 2 switches are a vpc pair and therefore i can not change it because both members need to have the same forwrding scale profile.

error message: "Error: 400 - Validation failed: : Vpc Node Id1105and1106consume different Fwd Scale Profile Policy :"

documentation says: 

• Changing the scale profile for individual members of a VPC is not allowed. If members of the same VPC are associated with different leaf profiles, then a new leaf profile should be created with both members and the scale profile applied to it.

having one leaf profile for 2 switches would be fine i guess....but there is another caveat...the leaf profile also defines the interface profile. this would mean that we always have the same interfaces on both switches defined for the same purpose...i understand that in pure vpc state this is fine (same interface for one vpc on both sides). but in our case we do have a lot of different single interfaces there...and just 3 vpc´s.

so we will lose some capacity because interfaces are configured on both switches although just one port is used?

is there any good way out of our situation? i can not configure both swtches at the same time because it always tell me that the other vpc member has a different scale profile...does it mean for the change there is no other possibility than to remove the vpc and change the profile?

2 Replies 2

waschminator
Level 1
Level 1
  • Define one Switch Profile for each pair of leaf switch in your data centre that will be used for VPCs.  It will have two Switch Selectors each specifying one of the two switches.
    • This means you now have two kinds of Switch Profiles, one for Virtual Port Channels, and one for single-attached devices.

waschminator
Level 1
Level 1

so i have found the correct setup above....the open point is now just how i can change the forwarding profile with minimum outage on both switches

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License