networkinblood
Level 1
Level 1
  • Can we use same vlan on different Bridge domain IMG-20230605-WA0007.jpg

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi @networkinblood ,

But I am still confused whether I can attach same vlan pool to two
different physical domain in same aci fabric or not.

Yes you can attach the same VLAN pool to two different Physical Domains in the same ACI fabric.

But you'd better be aware of the possible consequences.

In a typical ACI environment, each EPG is assigned a single VLAN on a particular set of ports within a particular Tenant space.

The connection between the EPG and the Physical Domain defines exactly WHICH set of ports MAY exist on, and then (typically) one or more of those ports is statically mapped to the EPG for a particular VLAN.

The connection between the EPG and the Physical Domain ALSO defines exactly WHICH set of VLANs MAY be used to map that EPG.

Now - you may have a different Physical Domain that defines a different set of ports, and still use the same VLAN Pool - BUT you may see some problems - and they pretty much all relate to how ACI treats Spanning Tree BPDUs.

Firstly, you need to understand that not all BPDUs are created the same way. There are tow species of BPDUs that you need to be concerned about.

1. Cisco Proprietary BPDUs, which carry a VLAN tag in the BPDU 802.1Q frame
  2. IEEE standard MST BPDUs which are untagged.

Each has its own story - let's begin with the Cisco Proprietary BPDU story in an environment where I have two Tenants - Tenant1 and Tenant2.  Each has been allocated a Physical Domain and those PhysDoms share a VLAN Pool that contains VLANs 10-20. To begin with, we'll say each tenant has a few ports (1-4) allocated on two separate switches.  In this arrangement, life will be sweet. No problems, or as we say down under "No worries, mate".

RedNectar_0-1686026859398.png

Let's add some EPGs to the picture, and to add some spice, let's say each tenant has mapped VLAN 10 to an EPG on interface Eth1/1 of their respective switches, and that interface connects to each Tenant's own external switches, that are sending Cisco tagged BPDUs on VLAN 10.

RedNectar_0-1686045535625.png

And this is where the shared VLAN Pool becomes a (potential) problem.

You see, a BPDU that arrives at interface Eh1/1 on Leaf1 will be flooded throughout VLAN 10 based on the VLAN ID in the VLAN Pool.  The fine details of the process are explained in the ACI Design Guide and in particular:

The FD VNID that a VLAN maps to depends on the VLAN number itself and on the VLAN pool object (and because of this, indirectly also the domain, but if two domains use the same VLAN pool, the same VLAN gets the same FD VNID) that it is from. Defining the same encap VLAN range in two VLAN pools does not result in the same FD VNID being assigned to the same VLAN number. In other words the FD VNID is a function of the VLAN encapsulation number and the VLAN pool object. Each VLAN on a given bridge domain has a unique FD_VLAN VNID and this number is identical on all leaf switches where the same bridge domain and VLAN are present.

So potentially, BPDUs from one Tenant could leak into another Tenant. Probably not a good idea.

Separation of the VLAN Pools ensures that both Tenants have their respective (Cisco proprietary) BPDUs flooded in separate VNIDs

RedNectar_1-1686045639491.png

But perhaps we shouldn't forget the other part of the story. IEEE standard MST BPDUs.

In the configuration above, the MST BPDUs would be dropped, because they arrive untagged, and unless there is a specific EPG created to catch those untagged BPDUs, there is a real chance of a L2 Loop (I REFUSE to call it a Spanning-Tree loop because by definition no such condition exists). And in that case, if each of the VLAN 10s above are in different MST Regions (they should be), you need to configure a policy for each region. (Fabric > Access Policies > Policies > Switch > Spanning Tree > default >| >+ Region Policies)

So hopefully, I convinced you that sticking with one VLAN Pool per Domain is a good idea. Although another topic that would be interesting to discuss is "What about if Tenant1 and Tenant2 share some VLANs on an external interface?"

And the short answer to that is - they CAN'T share VLAN 10 on the same interface, but if they use discrete VLANs - say Tenant1 uses VLAN 11 and Tenant2 uses VLAN 12, then a new AAEP should be crated to accommodate the shared interface - say a VPC on interface Eth1/5 on leaves 1 & 2.

RedNectar_2-1686047615489.png

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

mvankleij
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes, you can. But it's not always a good idea. Unless you have a good reason to do so I would try to keep vlans unique across your fabric. If you choose not to do so keep at least the following in mind:

• By default you can re-use vlans on different switches
  • You can enable per-port plans, but you need to actually enable that feature before it works

Re-using vlans might introduce problems and it will definitely increase complexity.

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

Hi @networkinblood ,

I'm not sure where you got the example from, but let me begin by saying PLEASE - don't ever use the CLI to configure ACI.  IF you were to enter the commands as specified in the example above, you will have created three Domains (one Physical Domain, one External Bridged Domain and one L3 Domain) just with the commands

apic1(config)# vlan-domain dom_exampleCorp

But it gets worse. When you enter the command 

apic1(config-leaf-if)# vlan-domain member dom_exampleCorp

a whole bunch of hidden entities get created which are virtually impossible to delete, and likely to cause future configurations to fail.

For fun, I entered the configuration you specified above - and this is what happened:

RedNectar_0-1686001438371.png

I then went and deleted the Physical Domain, External Bridged Domain and L3 Domain, and the VLAN pool (the ones created by issuing the CLI config commands), but I was still left with the hidden objects, which I now have to use moquery to even see:

apic1# moquery -c infraAttEntityP | grep __ui
name         : __ui_l1201_eth1--4
dn           : uni/infra/attentp-__ui_l1201_eth1--4
rn           : attentp-__ui_l1201_eth1--4
name         : __ui_l1201_eth1--2
dn           : uni/infra/attentp-__ui_l1201_eth1--2
rn           : attentp-__ui_l1201_eth1--2
name         : __ui_l1201_eth1--3
dn           : uni/infra/attentp-__ui_l1201_eth1--3
rn           : attentp-__ui_l1201_eth1--3

And I'm now left with the almost impossible task of removing these weird objects. Which I did using these commands:

apic1# bash
admin@apic1:~> cd /mit/uni/infra
admin@apic1:infra> for i in `find *__ui*`
> do
> modelete $i
> done
moconfig commit

And PATIENTLY ignore the MANY error messages that appear! 

So. PLEASE - don't ever use the CLI to configure ACI

But to answer your question (which BTW seems to have no relation to the actual code you posted because there is absolutely NO Bridge Domains mention in the code. I suspect you have ACI Domain objects (Physical Domains, External Bridged Domains and L3 Domains - aka physDomP, l2extDomP and l3extDomP) confused with ACI Bridge Domains (aka fVBD)

• Can we use same vlan on different Bridge domain  

the answer is there is absolutely NO relationship between ACI Bridge Domains (aka fVBD) and VLANs.  VLANs are associated with EPGs (fvAEPg), which in turn are linked to Bridge Domains.

BUT, given the nature of the CLI code you posted, I suspect you really meant to ask

• Can we assign the same ACI Domains (called vlan-domains in the CLI) to multiple interfaces

And the answer to that is that you MUST assign multiple VLANs to any interface that is a trunk. I'm not quite sure what kind of Kool-Aide @mvankleij was drinking when saying "it's not always a good idea"

@networkinblood PLEASE take my advice and learn a bit more about how the ACI Access Policy Chain works. (google ACI Access Policy Chain).  It is a very difficult concept and much of it is hidden from you if you use the CLI. Trust me, you will live to regret ever trying to use the CLI.

Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

Hi Thanks for your revert , it's really useful. As I am aware about basic
ACI fabric access policy like ----

*Vlan pool ---- physical domain ---- Interface profile ---- switch profile
.*

different physical domain in same aci fabric or not .I have gone through
the lots of documents but still I am not getting any conclusion.

Hi @networkinblood ,

different physical domain in same aci fabric or not.

Yes you can attach the same VLAN pool to two different Physical Domains in the same ACI fabric.

But you'd better be aware of the possible consequences.

In a typical ACI environment, each EPG is assigned a single VLAN on a particular set of ports within a particular Tenant space.

The connection between the EPG and the Physical Domain defines exactly WHICH set of ports MAY exist on, and then (typically) one or more of those ports is statically mapped to the EPG for a particular VLAN.

The connection between the EPG and the Physical Domain ALSO defines exactly WHICH set of VLANs MAY be used to map that EPG.

Now - you may have a different Physical Domain that defines a different set of ports, and still use the same VLAN Pool - BUT you may see some problems - and they pretty much all relate to how ACI treats Spanning Tree BPDUs.

Firstly, you need to understand that not all BPDUs are created the same way. There are tow species of BPDUs that you need to be concerned about.

1. Cisco Proprietary BPDUs, which carry a VLAN tag in the BPDU 802.1Q frame
  2. IEEE standard MST BPDUs which are untagged.

Each has its own story - let's begin with the Cisco Proprietary BPDU story in an environment where I have two Tenants - Tenant1 and Tenant2.  Each has been allocated a Physical Domain and those PhysDoms share a VLAN Pool that contains VLANs 10-20. To begin with, we'll say each tenant has a few ports (1-4) allocated on two separate switches.  In this arrangement, life will be sweet. No problems, or as we say down under "No worries, mate".

RedNectar_0-1686026859398.png

Let's add some EPGs to the picture, and to add some spice, let's say each tenant has mapped VLAN 10 to an EPG on interface Eth1/1 of their respective switches, and that interface connects to each Tenant's own external switches, that are sending Cisco tagged BPDUs on VLAN 10.

RedNectar_0-1686045535625.png

And this is where the shared VLAN Pool becomes a (potential) problem.

You see, a BPDU that arrives at interface Eh1/1 on Leaf1 will be flooded throughout VLAN 10 based on the VLAN ID in the VLAN Pool.  The fine details of the process are explained in the ACI Design Guide and in particular:

The FD VNID that a VLAN maps to depends on the VLAN number itself and on the VLAN pool object (and because of this, indirectly also the domain, but if two domains use the same VLAN pool, the same VLAN gets the same FD VNID) that it is from. Defining the same encap VLAN range in two VLAN pools does not result in the same FD VNID being assigned to the same VLAN number. In other words the FD VNID is a function of the VLAN encapsulation number and the VLAN pool object. Each VLAN on a given bridge domain has a unique FD_VLAN VNID and this number is identical on all leaf switches where the same bridge domain and VLAN are present.

So potentially, BPDUs from one Tenant could leak into another Tenant. Probably not a good idea.

Separation of the VLAN Pools ensures that both Tenants have their respective (Cisco proprietary) BPDUs flooded in separate VNIDs

RedNectar_1-1686045639491.png

But perhaps we shouldn't forget the other part of the story. IEEE standard MST BPDUs.

In the configuration above, the MST BPDUs would be dropped, because they arrive untagged, and unless there is a specific EPG created to catch those untagged BPDUs, there is a real chance of a L2 Loop (I REFUSE to call it a Spanning-Tree loop because by definition no such condition exists). And in that case, if each of the VLAN 10s above are in different MST Regions (they should be), you need to configure a policy for each region. (Fabric > Access Policies > Policies > Switch > Spanning Tree > default >| >+ Region Policies)

So hopefully, I convinced you that sticking with one VLAN Pool per Domain is a good idea. Although another topic that would be interesting to discuss is "What about if Tenant1 and Tenant2 share some VLANs on an external interface?"

And the short answer to that is - they CAN'T share VLAN 10 on the same interface, but if they use discrete VLANs - say Tenant1 uses VLAN 11 and Tenant2 uses VLAN 12, then a new AAEP should be crated to accommodate the shared interface - say a VPC on interface Eth1/5 on leaves 1 & 2.

RedNectar_2-1686047615489.png

mvankleij
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

@RedNectar's post is awesome, as always. He went beyond your question and definitely gave some very good insights. My answer only focussed on the title of your question, which was whether you can use the same vlan on multiple bridge domains. I don't know where his Kool-Aide remark comes from as I'm not saying that it's not a good idea to put multiple vlans on a trunk. So either I'm misunderstanding him, or he was misunderstanding me.

As to your second question whether you can use the same vlan pool to two different physical domains in the same fabric, yes you can:

Screenshot 2023-06-06 at 08.44.15.png

Hi thanks for yours revert , so I am concluding same vlan I can use in two
different Bridge domains.

Hi @networkinblood ,

so I am concluding same vlan I can use in two different Bridge domains.

Let's be clear - are you talking about BRIDGE DOMAINS - which are in the tenant config, and have no direct relationship with VLANs, or talking about PHYSICAL DOMAINS.

"Same VLAN in two different Bridge Domains" means (in general) same EPG in 2 BDs. You can't do this.  If you have a particular use case where you can explain why you need the same VLAN for two EPGs (forget Bridge Domains until this question is answered) then I'll talk about exceptions to my statement above

"Same VLAN in two different Physical Domains" can be done with care. Ideally, the two Bridge Domains will belong to two different tenants and exist on switches completely isolated from each other.

I have the feeling that I'm only working with half the information I need to answer this question! I thought that the question about

Can I attach the same VLAN pool to two different physical domain in same ACI fabric or not?

had been answered in my last reply.

To be clear:
VLAN is NOT the same as VLAN Pool - two very different concepts.
Bridge Domain is NOT the same as Physical Domain - two very VERY VERY different concepts.

Might Ncube
Level 1
Level 1

This is one of the most insightful explanation on the Vlan vs Bridge domain topics with diagrams as an added bonus.

Thank you for your contribution RedNectar.

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License