Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting two ACIs using BD leaf without L3 switch/router in between

ivanFatur555
Level 1
Level 1

Hello experts!

As the title said, is it possible to connect a BD leaf to another BD leaf from different ACI without any L3 devices in between? Because from my research in the internet, ACIs interconnection need an inter-site network (ISN).

Below, is the topology that I got from my colleague. They want to separate the replication traffic from existing route and want to put that traffic into the new replication route. Is this design achievable?

Screenshot_12.png

3 Replies 3

AshSe
Level 1
Level 1

Q. is it possible to connect a BD leaf to another BD leaf from different ACI without any L3 devices in between?

A. Two BD Leaf switches cannot be connected to each other (neither directly nor with any L3 device between them). This applies both within the same ACI fabric and in between two ACI fabrics.

@ivanFatur555 could you please elaborate more: ......

They want to separate the replication traffic from existing route and want to put that traffic into the new replication route. Is this design achievable?

Let us see, if we can find another alternative.

The existing topology to interconnect these ACIs site is by using a core switch. So, BD from one ACI is connected to core switch and the other BD from another ACI is also connected to the same core switch. But now, our client want to separate some of the traffics to this BD to BD leaf link, using L3Out.

@ivanFatur555 

first of all let's clear one of the confusing abbreviation viz. BD. BD is a short form of Bridge Domain, I think you wanted to call is as BL = Border Leaf. 

Please validate the existing topology as per your explanation above:

Screenshot 2024-08-06 at 10.02.50 AM.png

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License