Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCP relay policy in APIC, but not in MSO/NDO

pn2020
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am doing automation with creating BD with DHCP relay policy config, via REST API.  We had to put the DHCP relay policy on APIC, instead of the MSO.  So, after creating the BD in MSO, a template deployment on MSO, the BD appears on the APIC.  Then after successfully associating the BD with a DHCP relay policy config on the APIC, I tried to have PATCH REST API call, with 'op' = 'replace' back to the MSO, to update the BD with the same DHCP policy config.  Maybe I used the patch call incorrectly.

Basing on Cisco's documentation (below), I am suspecting it's not possible.  Especially, since the DHCP Relay policy is on APIC, it's not a MO in MSO, so MSO can't see it and thus I can't make the update.  Am I correct?

Also, if DHCP Relay policy is only on APIC, but not in MSO, would the DHCP relay still work for hosts being creating within the BD that has DHCP relay policy?  There is no config drift reported on the MSO side.

Much thanks in advance!

pn2020_0-1689775636590.png

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I found out the issue.  There was a bug in our code.  dhcpLabels is the right field to be updated, not dhcp_labels.  Should have caught this bug earlier, so not to waste all of this time

Thanks Robert for your time and feedbacks!

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Which version of MSO and ACI are you running?

Rober

APIC/ACI: 5.2(5c)

MSO: 2.3(2b)

Orchestrator: 3.7(2e)

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

To keep the product names straight:
Nexus Dashboard (not MSO) is 2.3(2b)
NDO - (aka Orchestraotr) which runs on Nexus Dashboard is the new name of MSO

Is there any reason you can't create the DHCP Policy on NDO directly?
The API only supports Get/Post/Delete/Put operations.  If you want to update, then you'd use PUT.

To your second question, you can leverage an NDO-managed object like a BD from a DHCP policy created locally on the APIC.  No problems there.  Where we advise caution is modifying any NDO-managed object locally on the APIC, as any changes will not be persistent next time NDO deploys that Template (it will revert any locally performanced changes).

Robert

I found out the issue.  There was a bug in our code.  dhcpLabels is the right field to be updated, not dhcp_labels.  Should have caught this bug earlier, so not to waste all of this time

Thanks Robert for your time and feedbacks!

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License