cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to monitor ACI Traffic Flows for billing purposes?

gabor.illes
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We have multiple Customers in ACI Fabric, each have its own Tenant. However they use an L3Out Object in the Common Tenant for shared Internet Access. My question is how can I monitor ingress/egress bytes of Internet traffic for each individual Tenant for billing purposes?

4 Replies 4

msabadac
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Gabor! This one is a really interesting question.

My first thought was simply checking the Statistics tab under the L3Out ExtEPG in the common tenant, but in your case that wouldn't provide the details you're looking for, as it aggregates the ingress/egress data without the differentation based on tenants.

Then, I thought that you could achieve it by contract logging - you could establish logging permits/denies at filter level. There's a really nice article by our colleague Soumitra here (btw, his blog is really good for all ACI-related configurations and tests, highly recommended). Unfortunately, this article mentions that logging isn't supported on a shared L3out. The article is from 2018, so I did play around with it a bit in my lab running 5.2 to see if that caveat still applies, and I managed to gather some hit counts for the traffic traversing from my EPG to an extEPG in the common tenant. Nonetheless, I didn't get any data on the amount of bits (which I'm assuming is what you'd like to bill on).

Another possible solution could be NetFlow - I was able to capture some flow records with the configuration according to the documentation on our website. I'm not sure what NMS are you running in your environment, which NetFlow versions it supports; I ran with the exporter being a barebone Ubuntu VM with flow-tools installed; I saw flow records being collected, but I didn't visualize the data or check for the specific details of packet sizes.

The simplest way to gather the information on each particular flow where I was able to filter by tenant (so you could filter flows for a particular customer) and the egress EPG (a bit more tricky, as for me the flows hitting an IP on a router were showing up with a blank EPG, so I just filtered it by "!=") was with Nexus Dashboard Insights that I have running in my lab. I'm not sure if you're utilizing it in your environment, but if so - that surely is the simplest way to set up what you're trying to achieve for billing purposes. I attached some screenshots where you can see, I got the details about the amount of packets and bytes.

I hope I was able to help out a bit and you get this to work, and please let me know if you find anything else, you got me really interested with that topic

At the same time, if anyone else at Cisco is reading this, feel free to add to what I said, I might've missed something.

Best regards,

Milosz

gabor.illes
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Milosz,

Thank you for your reply! We are using Nexus Dashboard too, although I'm not too familiar with it, but I'm definitely interested in that solution. Could you please point me a guide I can use?

Thank you in advance!

Gabor

Hi Gabor, sure thing!

I'm assuming the Nexus Dashboard you have is already deployed, so I won't link the deployment guides, you can find them on our documentation page for Nexus Dashboard here. First two resources that will be very helpful for you if you haven't installed any apps on top of the Nexus Dashboard yet, as these will help you understand the compatibility between release versions and the co-hosting of apps:

Then, for the day to day usage of the Nexus Dashboard, we have the Nexus Dashboard User Guide for 2.1.x. Again, on the documentation page you can find similar user guides for earlier ND versions.

Our experts at the business unit are running webinar sessions continuously, here's the list for Nexus Dashboard.

And finally, I have to do a shameless plug at the end (lol) - the organization I'm part of, Customer Success - we deliver sessions covering theory and live demos of the products and their features, Nexus Dashboard is actually one of the most popular asks from our customers. You can check with your Account Team if you're interested, as I'm pretty sure you'd be eligible for sessions free of charge if you've never engaged with us If that were the case, we could prepare a custom session for you

I'm glad I was able to help out, feel free to reach out to me if you have any further questions either here or via email, msabadac@cisco.com is where you'll find me

Thank you for all of your help, Milosz! I'll dive to the docs and tests using ND, and get back to you later.

Gabor

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License