Views
Helpful
Replies

Implementing SDN

Sascha2020
Level 1
Level 1

Hey guys, 
i'm currently trying to completely understand how the Cisco SDN-Solutions are implemented in an existing network, and i'm a bit confused by all the information online about this topics at Cisco. Maybe you guys can enlighten me.
So if i got that right, a cisco SDN-Solution, like SD-Access or ACI, implements an overlay-network on top of an existing underlay (Layer-3?) network. And in that overlay-network, many different services and protocols in all different logical layers can be implemented. 

Are my assumptions correct so far?

And how is it prevented that this creates a bottleneck if all the implemented protocols and services in the overlay-network are limited to the specifications of the underlay-network? Like e.g. everything from the overlay-network still get encapsulated with IP-Protocol on Layer-3 in the underlay network?

please excuse my bad english and my may stupid questions, the more i research online, the more confused i am.

Thanks in advance and best regards

Sascha

1 Reply 1

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

High level as per my learning, you need to Plan Underlay as strong as big you can to meet Overlay.

With out proper Undelay - there is no overlay - simple.

That is the reason going to SD-Access or SDN / ACI.

You need to plan correctly your underlay with right  Banwidth / Interface and Protoco, once this is done, its very hard to change later stage because overlay only stable based on underlay.

Deep dive information can be find here :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/solutions/CVD/Campus/SD-Access-Distributed-Campus-Deployment-Guide-2019JUL.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License